Jelly Bean 4.1.2 regularly powers off

k64

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean yesterday, and am truly regretting it.

All other niggles aside, there?s a major problem with it suddenly powering off.

When the upgrade was offered I chose to take it immediately. When installation completed it was quite hot and the battery was down to 35%. I swapped it for my second battery. Twenty minutes later the S2 was hot and that battery was down to 86%; it could be dead inside two hours.

Advice on Samsung forum was to stop Google Now, backup the Galaxy S2, Factory Reset, restore the S2. This I did (plus reinstall all my apps) and the battery usage is better, but nowhere near Ice Cream Sandwich.

However... it now powers off completely, sometimes while I?m using it, sometimes when it?s just sitting on the desk. I have to pick it up at regular intervals to make sure I haven?t missed an important text or email. The battery isn?t low, it was 77% the last time it happened - half-an-hour ago!

What can I do to stop it powering off?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure you have solid battery contact? When I see the phrase "I swapped it for my second battery." I immediately wonder if the battery contacts have started to loosen from swapping. This used to happen to me with a Nokia after a couple of years and the contact springs lost their tension. I had to slip a piece of cardboard in at the end of the battery to hold it tight against the contacts.

k64

May 17, 2013
Visit site
That's a thought, I'll see if that makes any difference.

It's never happened in the 18 months it was on Gingerbread or Ice Cream Sandwich, and I have swapped batteries several times before without any problems. Also, I wonder what would cause a bad contact while it is stationary on the desk.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, in my case the Nokia phone spring contacts simply lost tension over time. I kept it in my pocket and just natural movement would sometimes cause it to lose battery contact momentarily and or simple shut down. Just started happening one day after close to 2 years of care free use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty