Suddenly high data usage (Google+?)

Ellen Sebastian

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I normally use most of my 2gb of data in a month. However, suddenly since a new billing cycle started 2 days ago, I have already gone over the limit! I haven't been doing any more data-intensive activities than I usually do; maybe an hour of Pandora and a few texts.
Additionally, my phone is running out of battery much faster than it used to.

I checked my data usage and over 99% of it was from Google+.
I don't even use Google+. I've literally never opened the app. :mad:

I would like to uninstall Google+ or do anything to stop Google+ from using all my data. I went to settings->apps->google+, but there was no option to uninstall or disable

Any advice on how to keep google+ from using all my data? Thanks very much!

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
There is no way to uninstall Google+ nor disable it, and you probably will not want to do that soon as Google+ is becoming the center of the Android universe. Just go into your Google account on the phone and make sure no Google+ services are checked to sync.

BTW, a lot of people are noting the same issues after the recent updates so there seems to be a bug somewhere on some phones.

crabbz

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Google+ is disabled on my phone so it must be possible in some cases. I'm on verizon if that matters. It has been disabled for a long time so maybe an update removed the ability to disable it but mine stayed disabled? Another possibility is that I don't keep a google account on my phone, so maybe it can't be disabled when there is an active google account. You could try removing the account, disable google+, and then add the google account back. Just a thought, no idea if it'll work.

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
You can't uninstall the app but you can uninstall the updates. Try going into the app store and uninstalling the updates to Google+. Maybe that will remove the bug that is using data. After that don't install any new updates.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
When you open the app you can sign out which will stop it from syncing. Select the menu ... on the right and select sign out. As mcshaggin pointed out it can be set to auto upload pics/videos over your carrier data which can blow your data usage out of the water.

CallMe Otter

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Im having the exact same problem that started 2 weeks ago. I also dont use Google+ and every other day it seems to be using 50-100 mb of data; often while I and my phone are asleep. Ive got photo sync to only on wifi and havent changed the settings or taken any new photos or videos. There is absolutely no way to get support from Android or Google so Im extremely frustrated and am ready to switch to an Iphone just for the Apple support

Mine is set to wifi only and I likewise have never posted a single thing or used Google +.
This has just happened the last 2 weeks and it will be 50-100mb in a day - and often it seems to be in the middle of the night...so I have no way to know what its doing...and theres no support for Android which is driving me crazy

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Entwistle

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I also have a 2 gig data plain and 15 days in to my data monthly plain cycle I've reached my limit. I checked my usage and Google+ app used 0.93 gigs of data just today all in total 1.48 gigs for 15 days. This has never happened to me before considering I was working all day and never used my phone once during work.

Nick Friedman

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I cannot even consider a situation where there is not some collusion going on between Google and Verizon in this situation. Like everybody else in this thread, I have gone through almost a month's worth of data usage in 4 days and have not at all consented to using this application. Google Plus is making Verizon boat loads of money at the customer's expense and in a way which, in my honest opinion, appears underhanded and border line illegal. :(

CA808

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Our family just encountered this issue as well. My mom, who never logs into Google+ suddenly consumed 1.95GB of data (confirmed it was Google+ via settings in Android). She has never uploaded pictures or anything else, nor does her Google+ have pictures or anything else (not so much as a post) on it. This has forced us to have to pay an additional $10 this month to increase our Verizon data plan by 2GB. This is absolutely wrong! Either Verizon or Google need to fix this problem and Verizon needs to figure out how they are going to reimburse me for the additional payment this month. There is no way to disable or remove Google+. Signing out of Google+ also signs her out of Google Play and Gmail. Unacceptable!:(

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Our family just encountered this issue as well. My mom, who never logs into Google+ suddenly consumed 1.95GB of data (confirmed it was Google+ via settings in Android). She has never uploaded pictures or anything else, nor does her Google+ have pictures or anything else (not so much as a post) on it. This has forced us to have to pay an additional $10 this month to increase our Verizon data plan by 2GB. This is absolutely wrong! Either Verizon or Google need to fix this problem and Verizon needs to figure out how they are going to reimburse me for the additional payment this month. There is no way to disable or remove Google+. Signing out of Google+ also signs her out of Google Play and Gmail. Unacceptable!:(

Delete Google+ profile. Pretty simple. On ICS+ you can disable G+. If she is on GB you can get midrange ICS/JB devices for nothing off contract these days.

Also signing out of it does not sign you or of gmail not sure where you are getting that from.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4

ymabamamay

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I've been having this same problem for a few months now. I get 2gb of data and run out by aboit two weeks into my cycle. I've noticed for a while now, after looking at my data usage, that Chrome and other Google services use alot of my data. I didn't think much of it bc I do use Chrome quite a bit, but no more than Facebook or Twitter. I decided I would try to figure out a why. Turns our these Google programs, which come on the phone and can't be uninstalled, are almost constantly running (in the background.) I've tried many apps to try to fix my data and battery drian but no luck. So today, I decide to un-sync them; my new cycle starts next week and I'll see if this makes a difference. Hopefully! I'm so tired of running out of data...and I even use Wi-Fi when available!
Here is what I did:
Goto Settings --> Accounts --> Google --> click on your gmail account --> uncheck all you don't want to sync (I kept Concacts and Gmail checked)
Anytime you want somethings (like Calendar) to sync just go to this place and sync in then.
Some may want Chrome to sync so they came see websites on 2 devices. Its worth it to me to have it sync everyday. I can do it manually if needed. I truly believe this uses up alot of data.
I hope this helps someone else as well!

Amy May ★ Galaxy S4

Terrance O

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
You most likely have google plus set to auto backup all pictures and videos over both wifi and mobile data. You have to set it to wifi only.

Chuck Ireton

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
High G+ usage here as well. 500M on 12/12, another 500M today 1/5. Foreground: 3.2M Background: 1.24GB. I only have a 2G limit and will soon blow past it.
For reference, I am a very heavy Reddit user and yet have only used 192MB for extensive daily use. I never use G+ interactively.
Android 4.4.2, Backup Photos: Wifi Only, Backup Videos: Wifi Only, Roaming disabled. Gallery settings: Wifi only.
Stored on phone and presumably synced: 357M photos/video, downloads 31MB. I don't stream any music or video.
I have fallen back to factory version of G+ and disabled it to what degree I can. My Data Usage now shows Removed Apps: 1.24GB usage.
This is major suckage and is going to cost me the AT&T $15 overage in the next few days. Any suggestions?

MTapester

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed this as well, 1.42 GB of mobile and 3.62 of wifi in the last 9 days.
I have backup set to wifi only when changing and it's still going crazy. Heck it's done 175mb in the last hour and haven't even opened the app.
I set it to restricted the background data for google + now, Don't really want to wipe my phone again, but seems to be the answer i'm getting from others.

LisaJackson

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I have turned off the Auto-Backup on my Android. Thanks to all who posted info on how to stop this outrageous increase in Data Usage I too have just noticed on my phone in last 2 months. It definitely snuck up on me. And, I don't remember activating anything on Google+ to allow this to happen. Never had any problems with data usage limits before.
Question: Do I need to also "Restrict Background Data Usage too?" If so, how do I do that?
Thanks again for all of the great knowledge-sharing out there :)

------------------------------------
Well, I Googled-it and found out how. So, now I've Restricted Background Data and Turned off Auto-Sync. That should do it! Here's hoping, anyway. :eek: