Dragon Touch Y88X upgrades?

crazypj

Dec 25, 2019
Visit site
Hi, bought a Y88X tablet for grandson (he's 4 so didn't want to spend a ton of cash) The ad didn't say it was the 2015 version running kernel 3.4.39 and Android 4.4.2 which are 'lower' than the Fisher Price Nabi he's had for 2 years (Android 6.0.0)
The Nabi is locked so can't be updated without some form of rooting.
Fisher Price (Mattel) are less than helpful with any software information (even though Nabi is discontinued)
Anyway, going through various setting on the Y88X, looking for an update tab/button I found you can boot to 'safe' mode and install kernel and OS updates through computer or micro SD card. (problem is, it leaves it up to you to choose updates/upgrades without any hints)
It seems to be a semi-open system so I'm guessing the basic OS is pretty standard with Dragon Touch software overlaying it? (There is an option to remove some of the manufacturers 'name brand' apps)
The latest Y88X Disney kids runs Android 5.1 (2018) andY88X Pro is running Android 9.0
All 3 tablets have very similar spec so it 'should' be possible to upgrade?
Spec on Disney version is sparse but the 'Pro' is a Quad-core Cortex-A35 64-bit (1.5GHz)
The only difference I can find is the processor has changed from a Allwinner A33 Quad-core 4x1.2 (1.2 GHz )
I have a bit of experience 'playing' with desktop computers (assembled a few from parts since 2001, won't say I built them as it's just putting things in slots then power up) but just about zero experience with Android systems. I do have a little Linux experience (Mint and Ubuntu) but none with programming.
If you read through all of this, thank you.
Any help or advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance
PJ

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, any firmware you install has to be specifically compatible with the hardware. You can't install just any old firmware. For a device like yours, it's highly unlikely that anyone designed a custom firmware, but if there's any place where someone will have discussed it, it's the forums at XDA-Developers.com, so try over there if no one else here has an idea. Good luck!

crazypj

Dec 25, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for reply. No luck at XDA but it did lead me to search using the Allwinner chip. Alibaba has 237 tablets using A33 chip so someone probably has a compatible upgrade (maybe?) If it's anything like many other Chinese products, they are all made in the same factory then just branded with logo/display before being boed and shipped