Can't "Add to Homescreen"

Czaxon

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
This just started happening on my new Nexus 5 a few days ago. Not sure what caused it or how it fix it.

Basically, when you install apps, the icon will be placed in an empty space on your homescreen or on a new homescreen if not room is available. However, starting a few days ago, when I install apps, no icon appears on the home screen. I will have to manually add it from the app drawer if I want to. And likewise, whenever I try to "Add to Homescreen" anything, whether it's a website, shortcut, etc, nothing shows up on my homescreen. Instead it moves to behind the google now homescreen. It appears as if the icons are being added behind the google now homescreen. But, I've tried disabling google now and still no icons are ever added.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? Did I mistakenly disable something in the settings?

Thank you in advance.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a Nexus 5 (and yes, I'm jealous of you!), but check your Google Play Store settings. Under the General category, make sure "Auto-add widgets" is checked--this will add homescreen shortcuts for all new apps. It's a misnomer that has persisted for a long time, because you're not actually auto-adding widgets, you're auto-adding shortcuts.

I can't tell you anything about the icons behind the Google Now screen, though.

lynmarti

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a similar issue. I have the Google Now screen disabled and only one screen enabled to the right. I had my camera icon, the bookmark widget, and one more app icon on that screen.

Yesterday I was attempting to tap on one of the bookmarks and nothing happened. I tapped on the app icon and nothing worked. The camera app is the only thing that worked on that screen. In essence, the widget/icon "pictures" are there but the functionality is not.

I've tried removing the camera icon so the screen goes away, but then when Iong-tap the home screen, you can still see that panel. I've also tried to restart the launcher and rebooting. No idea now how to get rid of this now, and anything I attempt to add shows up behind the "picture" of the bookmark widget. Strangest thing ever.

lynmarti

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Quick update - the only way I've been able to get rid of the launcher screen was to install another launcher, switch to it, then switch back to stock