4.4 update gone wrong (Nexus 4)

Fedya Brodski

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a nexus 4 with clockworkmod, and yesterday I received a notification that the 4.4 update was downloaded. I hit install, but clockworkmod came up with a warning that it could harm my device or something so i stopped the update. Today i saw the article on phandroid on how to install 4.4 manually and i tried to do it from the PC. It didn't work, so I copied the file to my phone and chose "update from sdcard" in clockworkmod. At the end of the installation an error came up and said that installation was aborted. I rebooted the phone but it was stuck on 4.4 bootlogo.

I already tried to wipe cache partition and doing a data wipe, but it didn't help, so I registered here in hope of receiving some advises on what to do next.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Clockworkmod is incompatible with OTA. Use stock recovery or manually flash with TWRP, however or doesn't mean you won't run into problem flashing OTA using TWRP as well.

There is no need to link to a guide from XDA when we have a much clearer guide here (Even though I do refer to it over there this one is easier to understand): http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=2312326

But you don't need to flash factory firmware and lose your data. Hopefully when you said wipe data it doesn't mean you wipe your internal storage. First you should either install stock recovery or TWRP and try flashing the OTA package again.

If that don't work then follow the guide above, however, do not type the command "fastboot erase userdata" and when it said to use "fastboot -w update image.zip" leave out the "-w", this is to avoid wiping your internal storage.

sent from tapatalk

Last edited: