Why does my Nexus say No account is currently storing backup data?

train_depot

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
And it's grayed out so I can't add an account.

The phone is signed into my Google account. At least I think it is - it's rather confusing how many different things the phone can be signed into.

(In retrospect, I think this is more of a KitKat question than Nexus question, sorry for cross posting)

train_depot

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Well, I'm getting mail from gmail using the stock gmail app, so yes, the phone knows my gmail account.

I also seemed to be signed in to Google Now, Google+, Google Hangouts, etc. so I don't understand why it isn't signed into an account for backup.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
That is not what I asked you though. During setup did you specifically enter your gmail address when it asked? It would have been followed by asking you if you wanted to download all your apps to the device.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
You're kidding right? It must be eaier than that

You said you do not have any existing apps to worry about. There is nothing difficult about a reset. I missed the sign in the first day I got the device and did a reset the next day. It was painless.

train_depot

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
You said you do not have any existing apps to worry about. There is nothing difficult about a reset. I missed the sign in the first day I got the device and did a reset the next day. It was painless.
I didn't then, now I have tons of apps installed.

But I still don't understand what KitKat is trying to tell me by graying out that option ("Backup Account") when the option above it ("Back up my data") is not grayed out and checked. And that says "Back up app data, Wi-Fi passwprds, and other settings to Google servers". So what is the other "Backup account" actually supposed to back up? Is it something different or does it means my backups are going into a black hole?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
"Backup account" indicates the account you want backed up. "Back up my data" is all of the app data, passwords and settings on the phone. While "Backup my account" may be greyed out to you, is there an account listed? If not, any backups are useless and I strongly suggest that you do a factory reset. If anything was backed up at all you will have an opportunity to restore it later. If not, then it really doesn't matter anyway.

In settings/accounts.............. what is listed?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I really think your only option is a factory reset. I do not see any other way.

Last thought: Go into settings/apps/all/google account manager and clear cache and data.

Then: settings/apps/all/google backup transport and do the same.

Then: Google One time Init and cache.

These are just educated guesses. If it were my phone i would just reset it.

train_depot

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

Your last post gave me an idea, just try rebooting - that fixed it (Doh! :-!).

Not sure why it fixed it, I have rebooted several times since setting up the phone. But whatever, it should be happy now. Maybe this is the first manual reboot after the auto reboot after it updated to 4.4.2. which would make this a, errm, bug.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Glad things worked out for you. I turn my phone off every night so I sometimes just don't think of suggesting a reboot.

Ashaf Setyabudhi

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

Last thought: Go into settings/apps/all/google account manager and clear cache and data.

Then: settings/apps/all/google backup transport and do the same.

Then: Google One time Init and cache.

These are just educated guesses. If it were my phone i would just reset it.

I have same problem also, thank you so much for your help, I'm quite sure that I skipped the first step when I have to submit my backup account, now the problem solved

hargita nandor

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I had a nexus 4 for months, now i need to give it back and i was searching for a backup solution.

The set backup option was greyed out.

The last months i had several reboots because of a strange error (something blocked the screen from turning on, i couldnt receive calls, but the notifications led was working) so i had a lot of resets BUT not a single manual reboot.

I rebooted the phone and now, the backup account is set!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Posted via Android Central App

Antonio Portugal1

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
ALL PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM PLEASE READ THIS!

I had the same problem and it's very simple to solve it, just go to Settings, Data Usage, open the options menu (on the right top of the screen) and press Auto-sync data, then reboot your device and the problem is solved, took me a good half an hour to solve it. Android rookie.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty