Possible bug? Phone auto-dialing new call after hanging up with another caller?

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
So noticed something weird with KitKat, and confirmed this on two different phones (Nexus 5 and Moto G but running latest KitKat 4.4.2). On occasion (not every time) the phone seems to auto dial someone after you've ended a call with someone else.

My wife reported the problem first with her Moto G. At first I thought she might just be accidentally hitting a button after calling someone (this is her first smart phone and first touch screen phone) but it's happened several times for her. Final catch was today when I clearly had it happen to me (it also appears it may have happened before once or twice on my phone). I had called someone using my bluetooth in my car, at the end of the call I pushed the hangup button on the steering wheel, and the call ended. Then my wife picked up the phone to call another person and we both noticed it was calling some other friend of ours (that I had txt'd with maybe 2 hours before). It had just started calling this person for no reason. We quickly ended the call (hopefully it didn't bug them), but wow is that annoying.

Has anyone else seen this? It seems to happen every once in a while right after hanging up with another call. It seems to call someone in either your recent call or txt history. I'm not sure what might trigger it as it doesn't happen every time, and I'm not sure what number it chooses to call (though it does appear to be someone you recently called or txt'd).

If I hadn't seen it do it right in front of my face with no contact with the phone (bluetooth handsfree only) I wouldn't have believed it.

Again, both KitKat based phones but very different manufactures.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
did both happen with bluetooth devices connected?

seems like a strange bug, that's for sure. Can you think of any other common factors between the 2 devices? apps? usage patterns? apps or services being used just before the self-dialing happens? I assume they're both on the same carrier, but I'll ask just to cover the bases.

Look at anything and everything that the 2 devices have in common. I'm thinking an app or bluetooth service/device is causing it but it's just a wild-*** guess at this point, having nothing else to go on.

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Nope, it has happened most often with no bluetooth device connected. It was just the fact it did it while hands free on bluetooth that made me think it might actually be a thing. Previously I thought it was maybe user error (hit the hangup button then accidently hit the recent dialed list and trigger a new call). But it's pretty hard to do that when not touching the phone and just using a basic handsfree profile with the car.

Common apps are very possible as they both use the same google account for app purchases (but no contacts associated with that account). Additionally my wife and I have very different usage patterns. She almost exclusively used the phone as a phone, occasionally txting and is just starting to use email (via K9 Email client) and web browsing. But no app usage for her other than a weather app I setup for her and that she just checks the weather. On the other scale is me, plume, google plus, k9 email, firefox, weather, thermstat control, and a few other apps I use on a regular basis. But again, it seems to always happen after making a call, hanging up, and then leaving the phone alone. Very odd.

Carrier is T-Mobile, but both phones are unlocked non-carrier phones (purchased direct from either google or motorola) so no carrier added bloat.

Yeah, really weird. When I have some time I may try and see if I can't trigger it to happen on purpose, but I fear that will require a lot of calls to my self... ;)

FBOL

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a very similar problem since updating my Samsung GS4 to KitKat. Sometimes, but not all the time, after I text someone and exit the Messaging app, the phone automatically calls the person I just texted. This has happened about 5-6 times in the week since I updated to KitKat. This has never happened before the update to KitKat.

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I was talking to a co-worker and comparing my Nexus 5 and his MotoX, I mentioend the random call back problem, and he says yeah, he had seen that as well. He had just assumed he was hitting something accidently.

I've seen it happend once more on my phone, and my wife stil has it happen lots on her's. I haven't been able to reliably force it to happen. It could still be an issue with accidental dialing because of the onetouch dialing on the default dialer screen (which I'm still not liking) and senstive touch screens, but if so, then it's a faulty interface design. I think a lot of people may just be assuming they made a mistake when it happens.

antijam

May 2, 2014
Visit site
just had this happen to me, Moto G with KitKat. i called my hubby, ended the call, the phone started Auto Dialing him, and would not quit. i hung up, it dialed, i hung up, it immediately dialed again, and again........ Could NOT get it to stop until i held the power button and shut the phone down. It was not me accidentally hitting anything, unless the input somehow got pressed in my purse and logged like, a dozen requests to call and queued them!! IF so, i'll be taking a hammer to the *&%$ phone.

sumi03

May 17, 2014
Visit site
using motog for a month.. faced this issue many times, when a call gets terminated, it automatically calls somebody .. is there a update or anything available as a resolutions?

kartyperumal

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
I am also facing the same issue for three to four times i thought i accidently touched the button but fifth time i found, my friend also faced same issue, he uninstalled the apps temple run and subway surf now his micromax phone working fine. i am also going to do the same lets hope it will in moto g. If any body found resolution for this plz reply me..........

Ansh Nasta

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi I'm using a nexus 5 purchased in Mumbai India
I've been facing the same problem since i updated to the latest os
Will be getting the os reinstalled or something like that, at the LG service centre
I'll tell you'll if it works

Shashi Kumar Nair

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I bought MotoX recently. I was happy with its performance until it started making spontaneous calls from my phone list randomly. Even two to three times in succession. The number dialed were not even recent. Motorola help advised me to reset phone and within half an hour of resetting it made two calls. Now Motorola help advises me to return the phone.

Gilli H

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
My Nexus 5 is randomly calling others in my contacts, directly after I hang up from a call. I seldom make calls as I tend to text only, but when i need to phone it is very annoying to hear my phone ringing right after or worse, someone calling me asking why I called them (when I didn't).

Has there been no fix for this???

DANIEL D2

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I contacted moto care they told to switch on the mobile in safe mode and ask me to keep it for 2 hours. Even after 2 hours while the mobile is in safe mode it is auto dialing . I feel bad to purchase moto e. Very horrible to use it with this bug

Rudra Chowdhury

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Constantly facing this bug on my Moto G for the past 6 months. It randomly dials calls and to contacts I haven't interacted with in months.

If anyone has a solution please let me know. Tried the following:

Disabled Google Now prompts. Temporary remedy but it again resumed auto dialing.
Rest the phone to factory condition.No remedy.

SKM145

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
So noticed something with KitKat, and confirmed this on two different phones (Nexus 5 and Moto G but running latest KitKat 4.4.2). ... es.

Same BUG.! here too
Xperia and 4.3. Not MOTO.
Very strange.
ASSOCIATED: today at deptl store and called wife for a few seconds, after which phone placed more calls.
SEEN FROM LOGS: 3 calls to 1 favourite no and 1 call to another favourite no.
SUSPECT HOW THE SEQUENCE ENDED: one of them had called back and we'd spoken
NOT NEW: It also happened at least last week as my sister rang me to return the false call
It's sometimes embarrassing or funny
CRAPPY it is
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez