How do I recover deleted pictures on my Droid 4.4.4 (Motorola droid maxx)?

headinx4thexsun

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Recover deleted pictures droid 4.4.4 (Motorola droid maxx)

Hi,
I've been searching for days how to recover deleted pictures. I know there are a lot of threads asking similar questions, but none with any answers. I recently got a new Motorola Droid Maxx with the 4.4.4 platform (therefore cloud wasn't set up at the time I took these pictures)- and am not tech savy at all. I attempted to root my phone but software couldn't complete these actions. I tried downloading Dr Fone recovery software, which couldn't match my phone model to continue the recovery, I have tried downloading other programs also such as AsofTech recovery and recuva and nothing seems to work. I am desperate to recover these pictures- any help would be much appreciated!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Recover deleted pictures droid 4.4.4 (Motorola droid maxx)

DiskDigger works, the free version recovers pictures (you need the paid version to recover other file types), but NO recovery program will recover deleted files on a phone that's not rooted. It's not the app - the data the app needs to get to recover the pictures is only available if the app gets root permissions. Even it you were to do it manually with a terminal app or adb, if the phone's not rooted, it can't be done.

(And by rooting the phone and installing the apps, you could be using storage space that the pictures you're trying to recover are in, so you'll be overwriting [read: destroying] parts of what you want to recover.)

Sorry, but that's how Linux works and there's no other way to recover deleted pictures from internal storage. (If they were on the external SD card, it's trivial to recover them, compared to recovering them from internal storage, and none of them would be overwritten.)

BronwynST

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Re: Recover deleted pictures droid 4.4.4 (Motorola droid maxx)

Rukbat,
I too have been trying to recover the pictures from my Droid Turbo XT1254. My 2.5 year old toddler managed to factory reset my phone using the power and volume buttons. I am still in utter disbelief. After trying YoDot, CoolMuster's Marvelous Data Recovery and Wondershare's Dr Fone, and wasting 8 hours of my life, I discovered exactly what you have said above. When android 4.4.4 removed the USB Mass Transfer option they destroyed everyone's ability to recover their data without using The Cloud.

So, what form of rooting will minimize the overwriting process and give me the best chance for recovering the most data? I just want the pictures of my kids.

conesnail

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I had a Droid Mini SU6-7 running Android 4.4.4. After many many false starts I managed finally to root the thing. However, when I attempted to use Coolmuster it found nothing that was deleted. It finds the contacts that are there and non deleted texts, which it did not do before rooting (it saw a phone, but couldn't do anything), but it found nothing to recover. I don't know if this is because the rooting process (which was incredibly arduous for this phone) erased everything, or because this program isn't very good, but there it is. I did a text, where I deleted one text after rooting, and hooked the phone up to Coolmuster, and it still found nothing.

At this point I think that Coolmuster is just not very good. I would certainly not spend any money on it.

Conesnail