Why are my videos coming out sideways when I transfer them from my Android phone/tablet to Windows 7 pc?

gow75

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
videos come out sideways when transfer from android phone/tablet to Windows 7 pc

anytime i copy over videos from my smartphone to my windows 7 pc they are sideways, i then have to use an app to rotate them the issue i find is that i lose display of the the video since it goes from one ratio to another. from a square to rectangle shape when rotating with the free app. how do i avoid this from happening. do i need to change the display mode on the phone? landscape mode? i typically take video and pictures with my android moto turbo phone with the camera face up and not sideways.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: videos come out sideways when transfer from android phone/tablet to Windows 7 pc

The problem is that you're taking the videos in portrait mode, which people really try to discourage these days. Portrait mode videos in widescreen are unwieldy, and don't match the proportions of a typical monitor or TV screen. Is there a reason why you'd rather not take the video in the conventional landscape mode?

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: videos come out sideways when transfer from android phone/tablet to Windows 7 pc

I had the same problem today. This might sound stupid but how do I take a video in landscape mode? Is it just as simple as turning the phone sideways? Because I could not find any settings in the camera app to change to landscape mode.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Yes, hold the phone in landscape orientation when you take the video. The current Google Camera app (the one that comes on Nexus devices) even has a warning reminder that comes on if you take a video in portrait orientation, suggesting that you turn the phone to landscape orientation.

gow75

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site

well for landscape mode takes 2 hands i know really! on the fly recording is easier with potrait mode but i will try landscaping more if this is why the videos need to be rotated. thanks guys

mrbeepa

Oct 8, 2019
Visit site
Most folks by now have probably figured out that Samsung & Google with all their apps that are hoaxes and fail that is at the brunt of the problem! I have so many issues with the S9 it drives me crazy. This is just one of many. Never had the problem on my S8 (this problem) my videos taken in portrait mode turn sideways in windows.

Google shouldn't even be allowed to make ops for android systems. In case you didn't notice on the same phones, the app for the delay of 30 sec before the screen goes black (doesn't work, never has) the app for keeping inadvertent button pushes from happening while in a dark place like your pocket (doesn't work, never has) the app for locking your home screen in portrait mode (doesn't work, never has) the app for you to not have to unlock your phone when you are within range of your wifi (doesn't work, never has)!

I could probably go on for days but it's not the reason for this post. Point is it's poor programming and a bunch of lies to bolster the product is the reason for all these problems. All most all the little add on features that Google comes up with when writing the code for the Android systems are a bunch of bs but they put them in the Android systems and use them to help sell the product. Why cnet never comments about all the issues with these phones baffles me to this day. Most of those problems mentioned but not all, are also evident on the S8 if they were in fact on the op sys at the time.

It is my understanding that Google writes the code for the Android systems and that is why I blame them. I have found no way to fix the issues with the sideways video other than buying some product that doesn't use Android or Samsung. And I can't stand I-Phones because they are so proprietary and cost a fortune. So for now I'm stuck with this miserable S9 but know that it's in the operating system built by Google and augmented by Samsung that all the problems exist. If you hear of a fix for this problem I would definitely be interested in hearing it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

I don't understand how apps are hoaxes. All of the Google apps I have on my Pixel 3 XL work smoothly.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the app for the delay of 30 sec before the screen goes black." If you mean the screen timeout, that's a system setting, not an app. How has it never worked for you? Are you saying the screen goes to sleep before 30 seconds, or after?

The setting (not app) to prevent accidental screen touches is a Samsung feature, not a native Google/Android feature.

What kind of issue are you having with the Auto-Rotate toggle? Are you saying that even if you turn off Auto-Rotate, it still rotates to landscape? That can be due to certain apps that force landscape.

Smart Lock has admittedly been hit-or-miss.

I think it's a gross exaggeration to accuse these companies of "lies." If you've had issues, then post questions about them, and engage the community in a discussion about them -- there may very well be simple (or not-so-simple) explanations for them.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana