no way to quickly select sound mode

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I notice that they removed the options that used to be in the menu that pops up when you long-press the power button (vibrate, airplane, etc), and there's also no quick settings toggle to quickly change between sound on, vibrate, and perhaps silent mode.

This seems silly. Quickly changing sound mode is probably the thing I toggle most of all. I'm annoyed that they removed this functionality. I suspect them of dumbing the OS down so that it looks cleaner.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping to be able to download an app/widget from the Play Store that will mute the phone with a quick tap. I have read, but cannot confirm, that Power Toggles will work with Lollilpop. I imagine other apps will work, as well. Like you, I often have to mute my phone. Sometimes I simply forget to do so before going into a meeting, so I need a quick, QUIET way to do so.

I don't remember the name of the app/widget I have used before, but it was a simple toggle that toggled through full volume, vibrate, or mute. So quick and easy. If it will work with Lollipop, that is the one I will use.

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I notice that they removed the options that used to be in the menu that pops up when you long-press the power button (vibrate, airplane, etc), and there's also no quick settings toggle to quickly change between sound on, vibrate, and perhaps silent mode..
If you press the volume button on the side of the phone to bring up the volume control, you can then touch the icon on the left to toggle to vibrate only and touch again to toggle the sound back on .

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
If you press the volume button on the side of the phone to bring up the volume control, you can then touch the icon on the left to toggle to vibrate only and touch again to toggle the sound back on .

Thanks, I'll check that out on my wife's phone tonight. She's the only one who has the update.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Pressing the volume rocker and selecting from All / Priority / None isn't al that inconvenient, is it?

Also if you press the bell icon it switches to vibrate.

But yeah, the new power off "menu" sucks! One of many things that is terrible in lollipop. Xposed needs to happen.

Wubba lubba dub dub!

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Also if you press the bell icon it switches to vibrate.

But yeah, the new power off "menu" sucks! One of many things that is terrible in lollipop. Xposed needs to happen.
Or any custom ROM. I came from AOKP, where the power menu included "Reboot," "Recovery," "Soft Reboot" and "Bootloader." I do miss that.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
The one problem I have with priority mode is that there are some contacts I would star to let their calls or messages through during the day and others that I would want to receive calls from both day and night---but that would require two different profiles, which I don't think is possible. And it's not practical to star or "un-star" various contacts each day. At least, as I understand it, I will still be able to see if notifications come in, even if there is no ring or vibration. OTOH, I can hardly sit in a meeting and constantly be checking my phone ... I'm going to have to think about this.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I haven't upgraded to 5.0 yet. Anyone else using HD Widgets?

Me. This is what I have found:

Along with all the other widgets included, you can configure a 1x1 widget for a:

- Ring/Vibrate switch which lets you instantly switch between those modes
- Silent On/Off switch which switches between "All" and "Priority" modes

I suspect the developer will be refining these actions for Android 5.0 soon, but for the moment they work as described above.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Pressing the volume rocker and selecting from All / Priority / None isn't al that inconvenient, is it?

I don't want to not get notifications or specify from whom I want notifications - I want to be able to toggle between notification types.

However, someone above pointed out that volume down and then pressing the bell switches to vibrate, which is helpful - then you don't have press volume all the way down.

gomcse

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
It's super frustrating. I have a One Plus One. Upgrading to Lollipop was the worst thing I've done. Kit Kat was PERFECT on this phone. The lack of Silent mode has been driving me crazy looking for a solution. There aren't any Toggle apps that work anymore because they still allow notifications to vibrate through. I finally set Priority Notifications completely OFF within Settings, then used the volume buttons to get to the screen for Priority, and pressed the Star. Now it's silent. The great thing is that with my Martian Notifier watch I still get the notifications I want through the watch. I'd love to find a toggle that lets me select Priority mode. All of them seem to go to the mode that still allows vibration. Anyone know of one that will toggle between Sound/Vibrate/Priority?

wplust

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
It's super frustrating. I have a One Plus One. Upgrading to Lollipop was the worst thing I've done. Kit Kat was PERFECT on this phone. The lack of Silent mode has been driving me crazy looking for a solution. There aren't any Toggle apps that work anymore because they still allow notifications to vibrate through. I finally set Priority Notifications completely OFF within Settings, then used the volume buttons to get to the screen for Priority, and pressed the Star. Now it's silent. The great thing is that with my Martian Notifier watch I still get the notifications I want through the watch. I'd love to find a toggle that lets me select Priority mode. All of them seem to go to the mode that still allows vibration. Anyone know of one that will toggle between Sound/Vibrate/Priority?
Doesn't taking the ringer off of vibrate and selecting priority mode get you what you want?

Sent from my XT1060 Moto X DE