Smart lock trusted places not working anymore

Spring2784

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I have never had this working at all until tonight and thought I'd share what I did. I got it working like this. 1st go to Google maps swipe left and tap settings, tap edit home or work and make sure the addresses are right. Mine were not. It was a rare technicality though. Then go into the Smart lock settings. Tap Trusted places. Tap add trusted place. Now this is what got it working flawless for me, when you tap add trusted place your GPS will be updating. There will be a blue dot that shows up. Add the House closest to the blue dot where it first appeared(this is your rough GPS location before a GPS lock) Then add all your surrounding neighbors to your trusted locations until it works. I know everyone in my neighborhood so I'm not worried . If you ever had a problem where your phone is lost, you would just have to log in to Android Device Manager and make it ring full volume, lock it or even wipe your device worst case scenario. II you are worried for security reasons then don't add any places but I tried every single thing imaginable provided by Google/XDA/AC etc. I did this by accident and it worked. I hope this helps. Peace.

BargainingJew

Banned
Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Fixed this on my Nexus 6.

I turned on On Body Location in smartlock then toggled it off and magically the trusted places work again.

Don't know why, don't know how. But it worked for my "Work" location. Testing "home" later on.

Update? I bet it didn't work at Home. It only works one place at a time, then you have to reset the next one.

Adding five locations around each of my Trusted Places worked for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

BargainingJew

Banned
Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I have never had this working at all until tonight and thought I'd share what I did. I got it working like this. 1st go to Google maps swipe left and tap settings, tap edit home or work and make sure the addresses are right. Mine were not. It was a rare technicality though. Then go into the Smart lock settings. Tap Trusted places. Tap add trusted place. Now this is what got it working flawless for me, when you tap add trusted place your GPS will be updating. There will be a blue dot that shows up. Add the House closest to the blue dot where it first appeared(this is your rough GPS location before a GPS lock) Then add all your surrounding neighbors to your trusted locations until it works. I know everyone in my neighborhood so I'm not worried . If you ever had a problem where your phone is lost, you would just have to log in to Android Device Manager and make it ring full volume, lock it or even wipe your device worst case scenario. II you are worried for security reasons then don't add any places but I tried every single thing imaginable provided by Google/XDA/AC etc. I did this by accident and it worked. I hope this helps. Peace.

What you're saying is that you added multiple locations around your core desired location? Yes that worked for me.

Kurtpg1969

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
It only works in one place. It will work at home, but then when I get to work, it won't work. So I reenter my work location, and it works. Then I get home, and it has stopped working at home. So I turn home off then on, and it works again. Then the next day, it won't work at work. And so on and so forth.

Extremely frustrating that they broke this great feature.

And why is my Google Maps saved work location not available in Smart Lock automatically like it used to be???

I have exactly the same problem: works at home but cannot add second trusted place! Very annoying

twdawson

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Got it to work by adding more trusted places but after a reboot of the phone they have all been deleted so I guess the fix is not permanent

tuccman

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Update? I bet it didn't work at Home. It only works one place at a time, then you have to reset the next one.

Adding five locations around each of my Trusted Places worked for me.

This did work at home too. I toggled on body location on and off again and it worked with the google maps "home" location. Maybe it triggered something to turn on. I did not manually add any locations either. It didn't fix itself instantly. Took a couple minutes then worked. Still working this morning at home location. No clue why this worked

grv_pt

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone searched for an open issue on google code (android) ?
I couldn't find anything.

I have the same problem. It worked allright till like a week ago where it suddently Smart Lock stopped working with trusted locations.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Interestingly, I have yet to receive the new on-body detection feature, so I can't try the fix others have suggested to toggle that feature in order to fix trusted locations.

Maybe that means Google has stopped rolling that feature out due to problems it creates with trusted locations, and will fix all problems in a forthcoming update!

One can hope. 😀

BargainingJew

Banned
Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone searched for an open issue on google code (android) ?
I couldn't find anything.

I have the same problem. It worked allright till like a week ago where it suddently Smart Lock stopped working with trusted locations.

Someone posted in Code and got yelled at that it was the wrong place, and the thread was closed.

NateEaton

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I had same thing happen - added house on either side of mine, everything seemed to work fine again. Rebooted and those other trusted places were gone.

However, when I added houses a few either side of mine (about the point at where the blue dotted circle around my house went to) things worked fine *and* those additional trusted places remained after a reboot.

Oddly, this was all working fine at my house up till today but hadn't worked the last few times I was at my parent's house on other side of town. Will be doing same thing for that location that I did for Home.

Smart lock is working file for me with either Trusted Devices or On Body.

ACADM

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Mine got broken before the On Body Detection roll out, and I kept getting Play Services crash errors.

Posted via Android Central App

grv_pt

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Someone posted in Code and got yelled at that it was the wrong place, and the thread was closed.

I know Google is shutting down Google Code but what is the correct place now? Is there a repository or issue tracker on Github for Android now?
I think this is important as we could all 'star' the issue.

It's pretty lame that this feature doesn't work.
I always take my Tablet (Nexus 9) and Phone (Nexus 4) to work but I want them to ask for a PIN there but I don't want the hassle of having to always unlock them at home too.

I really hope they fix this issue quick as it is a major annoyance.

Last edited:

BargainingJew

Banned
Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I know Google is shutting down Google Code but what is the correct place now? Is there a repository or issue tracker on Github for Android now?
I think this is important as we could all 'star' the issue.

It's pretty lame that this feature doesn't work.
I always take my Tablet (Nexus 9) and Phone (Nexus 4) to work but I want them to ask for a PIN there but I don't want the hassle of having to always unlock them at home too.

I really hope they fix this issue quick as it is a major annoyance.

Google Product Forums

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Trusted Places hasn't worked for me at all in at least a week. "Home" is the only trusted place I have set.

AC App
Nexus 6

only1canoli

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Mine started working again yesterday. Sorry I was wrong, had to add all my neighbors to get it to work.

Posted from deep inside my phone!

Last edited:

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
mine has started working as well. At first i wasn't sure if it was the on body detection causing me to think it was. but today my play services got updated and it works fine. still can't get work to show up automatically but it works when i add it in manually.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89