SD Card Folder asymmetry with Marshmallow?

A

AC Question

SD Card Folder assymetry with Marshmallow?

I have an NVidia Slice tablet, upgraded to Marshmallow. If I reformat my SD card it creates Android and Lost Folders. If I plug the tablet into my computer via USB I can see both folders on the SD Card in the computer window. If I then create additional folders on the SD Card using an Android File Manager app - I have tried two - the new folders appear in the File Manager, but they do not show up on the computer.

If I create new folders on the computer and drag them onto the SD card, they appear on the computer and in the Android File manager, and all seems to be OK i.e. it seems to work in one direction but not the other.

Am I doing something wrong?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you creating the new folders with the Android file manager app while it's still plugged in to the computer? If so, what happens if you disconnect, then connect again? Does the computer find them now?

OldFuddyDuddy

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
It makes no difference.
I've just double checked - I created a new folder on the SD card with the file manager. The tablet was not plugged in.
Plugged it into the computer - no sign of the new folder.
Any thoughts?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just to be sure--if you swipe down the notification panel and tap the USB icon, is it set to MTP? I assume it is, but just thought I'd check.

OldFuddyDuddy

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
A good thought - but the answer is still no.
I've set the computer to show hidden folders, but still nothing.
I 'm happy to concede defeat on this one if you want to call it a day.
I can work around the problem as explained in my original E-mail.
I raised the issue in case this was a fundamental problem with Marshmallow, but if others aren't experiencing the same difficulty, then perhaps not.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Is the card installed as portable or adoptable storage. (It sounds as if, and it should be for your purposes, be set as portable storage.)

OldFuddyDuddy

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
Apologies for the lack of response. I've been away.
FYI card is installed as portable storage.
I have just installed a major system upgrade to the Shield tablet, and wondered whether this might resolve the problem.
But no, still the same - a folder created with the tablet file manager is still not visible on the P.C.
So I'm still no nearer to identifying the cause.