I'll try to explain this as clearly as I can.

I have a group message between myself, John, and Sally. I also have an individual message just between myself and John.
    When John sends a text message to the group, it first appears in the individual message between just him and I. To me, it looks like he just sent the text to me, and I respond to it in our individual message.
    Then when I look at the group message, John's message is there (the one that I thought he only sent to me). When I return to the individual message, his text is no longer there.

To reiterate: Texts that are sent to the group message first appear in their individual messages until I open the group message, then they appear in the group and disappear from the individual message.

This is driving me crazy because I'm frequently responding to messages that I think are coming to me personally, when they are actually being sent to the group.

I've seen a few similar threads popping up, but haven't found any solutions.

Brand new Pixel 2
    Android 8.0.0
    12-13-2017 10:52 AM
    was happening to me but stopped. now it seems like texts aren't getting to the group at all
    12-13-2017 10:59 PM