Gmail Client IMAP/POP3

jbeachy

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
My wife just got a Pixel 2 phone running Oreo (nice, snappy phone!). We've set up her Gmail and third-party account on the Gmail client.

The Gmail client appears to set up all accounts as IMAP (sync with server) but she prefers not sync deletions from phone to server.

I spent an hour trying to reconfigure but without success. That configuration appears to be available only on desktop, and it affects the Gmail account, not the third-party account.

Can this be configured on local Gmail client or do we need to use the Android client for POP3, non-synching?

TIA

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The server determines the type of connection, the client just uses the one set by the server. Go to GMail (to her account, of course), hit the gear at the upper right, go to Settings, to the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab. Change #1 to POP for all email and disable IMAP in #3 . Delete the account in her Gmail client (on the phone) and enter it again - and it should set up as a POP3 account.

jbeachy

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I've done those steps except for deleting and re-adding the account on the phone. So it sounds like the setting is global for all accounts? I was hoping to have Gmail act as IMAP and the third-party as POP3. But I missed the key step of deleting/adding on the phone. Thanks for your help.

jbeachy

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Add-on question: If I make the changes to POP and delete/redo the phone installation, then go back and set to IMAP, will the phone account retain its POP configuration? Would that be a way to trick Gmail?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo