Why can't most apps access my SD card?

rackabello

Oct 10, 2018
Visit site
I have a Nokia 3 updated to Android Oreo (8.0.0), and have experienced some issues with the SD card. I had been using an SD card as internal storage, but as it was an old card and would occasionally cause issues, I decided to replace it. I got a 128gb card and formatted that as portable instead.
Since then, though, a lot of apps can't access it. Audible doesn't provide an option to save books to the SD as it has before, VLC doesn't see any of the media files, and same with some other music apps. File managers other than 'Files' can't browse it either. The Google Play Music app is the only one that seems to work.

Anyone know what's causing the issue and how to resolve it?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The apps not being able to save to the SD card - they weren't written to give you the option to save to the SD card.

VLC and other apps should see the media on it if you're restarted the phone since you copied files to it.

Some file managers see the filesystem as it is - and the external card is usually /mnt/extSdCard. So you have to get to / first, then look for mnt.

rackabello

Oct 10, 2018
Visit site
I've attached a screenshot of what the file manager shows, it's root/storage/336-6430, not mnt/extSdCard. Is that okay? It shows the SD card and capacity/use but that's what happens when I click it to browse.

VLC shows the same directory, but it's just perpetually loading when I open it. Another music player let's me use 'files' to browse, but when I go to play anything it says it's a protected file or something like that.

With Audible, I'm pretty sure I've been able to select SD card storage before, and looking it up shows the option you can select.

I have rebooted it since changing storage, and since moving files.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181010-225314.png
    Screenshot_20181010-225314.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 8

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Take out the SD card and try to read it in a pc. What do you see? While it is out, try using a 32 or 64 SD card. What is the outcome?

rackabello

Oct 10, 2018
Visit site
Take out the SD card and try to read it in a pc. What do you see? While it is out, try using a 32 or 64 SD card. What is the outcome?

It's fine in a PC. Just looked at the format though and it seems to be exFAT, could that be the issue? Maybe formatting to FAT32 would solve it? I'll try that now anyway and let you know.
I probably should have thought of that to start with! Because Android gave the option to use as portable I assumed the format was correct.
I tried my 64gb card in it, and Audible, VLC, and File Manager all see it, so it's definitely to do with the card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XCman