Problem with restoring WhatsApp account...

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello, I am really desperate, I am afraid that I have lost my whatsapp contacts, chats, fotos,... The issue is the following: I had to restore my phone, but I did a backup before with itunes. Now when the restoring finished, I set up my iphone again, all the apps where still there, but when I open my whatsapp it asks me to verify my phone number, when I put my whatsapp number (which is not my current nb since I havent changed it in whatsapp) of course it cannot send the code to this number. So when I put my current number I can verify it, but then it creates a completely new empty whatsapp account for me, so all my chats are gone. please help meee thanks

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
If it's an iPhone, as you seem to be indicating, see this Whatsapp FAQ page on restoring chat history - https://faq.whatsapp.com/iphone/chats/how-to-restore-your-chat-history/

The key line in there is that the history must be restored to an account using the same phone number as was backed up.
The phone number used for backing up and restoring must be the same. You can't restore the chat history from another WhatsApp account.

I'm not sure our friends at https://forums.imore.com will be of any different assistance than that, but that's usually where you'll want to post questions about iPhones.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In the meantime, I moved this to the WhatsApp forum for more specific traffic.

EDIT: Looks like the forum chiefs recently eliminated all of the Android Apps subforums, so this is back in the Android Apps forum.

Last edited:

wenso smith

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
The same Google account that was used to perform the backup has been added to your phone Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp. After verifying your phone number, you'll be prompted to restore your chats and media from Google Drive After restoring your chats, WhatsApp will begin restoring your media files.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
@wenso smith the issue is that the OP's current phone number is different from the one registered for their Whatsapp account. In order to restore the message history or the backup the phone number MUST MATCH.