K-9 Mail Users

nightfishing#AC

May 3, 2010
Visit site
ok one more question. if i have 2600 or whatever version is in the marketplace, can we just install the latest version over that and all settings will remain? someone asked a few posts up but there wasn't a response

I don't know for certain, but I would guess so.

I started on 27xx and have had no issues updating (no lost settings etc.)

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
another ? i forgot earlier: is there a way to have the app automatically download and show pics embedded in emails without having to press the "show pictures" button?

beeray

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
I downloaded K-9 but cannot seem to back it up from astro file manager. It just doesn't show up. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Rochelle

hpeugeot

May 21, 2010
Visit site
worked for me

ok one more question. if i have 2600 or whatever version is in the marketplace, can we just install the latest version over that and all settings will remain? someone asked a few posts up but there wasn't a response

i also first installed 2600 from the marketplace. but i wanted the so-called "integrated inbox", so i downloaded and installed 2705 (others had mentioned some bugginess in later versions) and it retained my e-mail settings...

bnewt

May 17, 2010
Visit site
is there a k9 user's guide anywhere? that official site is terrible to actually learn how to use the app

I'm with indianajonze... I'm not only new to K-9, but new to Android AND new to IMAP all at the same time. I could really use a "how to set up IMAP accounts with K-9 Mail" user's guide that explains all of the options and settings. Didn't find anything googling.

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Because K-9 is an open source "group" project the updates are fast and furious and there is no real documentation because hundreds of programmers are contributing to its development. In other words nobody really owns K-9 so it would take one of the contributors to take the time to write the docs. If you check out the K-9 website k9mail - Project Hosting on Google Code you will learn more about the project. This is also the best place to stay up to date using the Download tab. Download on your Android Device and it will install just like a Market install only faster. Your settings and data will all be in tact.

I am by no means an expert and found it very simple to add any account. K-9 basically does it for you as long as you have your user name, password and incoming and outgoing server information.

The ultimate goal of K-9 is to be incorporated with the stock Android email client and become the default. If that ever happens Google would write the documentation and manufacturers would include it in the device manuals. The app is pretty intuitive and by spending some time going through the settings and experimenting you will quickly learn how to use it and most likely make it your default. Just don't remove any accounts from the clients that are currently working until you have k-9 under control and working the way you want it. This all worked for me and my email experience, which is the most important thing I use my INC for is now terrific, even better than the BB's I came from.

bnewt

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, I had already been to the Project site which is, understandably, geered more towards the developers rather than the users. Someone wrote out a quick "Advice on how to configure K-9 Mail to work with Exchange" and posted it to the Wiki - I would like to encourage someone who knows what they are doing to create a similar "Advice on how to configure K-9 Mail to work with IMAP." It would be much appreciated.

nightfishing#AC

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Are you using gmail?

IMAP is drop dead simple to use with gmail accounts (if a bit complex to understand).

Enable IMAP on your account (thru web access). Add account to k-9 (it will default to imap for gmail) and you are good to go.

The "trick" with IMAP is anything you do on the phone will be done on the server and will be reflected when you access that account from another computer (and vice versa).

The other "trick" is that nothing is stored locally on your phone (except for a list of headers), which has several advantages.

If you have specific questions, ask ;)

bnewt

May 17, 2010
Visit site
LOL... ok... not quite THAT simple. I understand (on the most basic level) what IMAP *is* (and no, this isn't my gmail account) I just don't have a good grasp of how K-9 works with it. What I'm hoping someone will take on is creating a one-line explanation for each of the settings available. I greatly appreciate the responses.

Folder poll check frequency (defaults to Never with Enable push mail for this account checked) - Is it possible that what is best for battery life might depend on how many emails you get on the account?

Integrated Inbox - I assume this means if I am using K-9 for multiple emails they all appear to come to a single inbox on the Android

All messages (All messages in searchable folders) - need simple description of what searchable folders are

Background sync... this may sounds stupid, but what exactly is "Background data" ?

Account Settings:

Show in top group (?)

Folder display class - totally lost... what are 1st and 2nd class folders?

Folder sync class - ditto

Folder push class (ditto)

Integrate - how is this different from the Integrated Inbox?

Expunge - I assume this is the "if I delete it here, I want it really and truly deleted on the server" (?)

Folder poll check frequency (Never) - how different from initial poll/push decision?

Sychronize message sent - ? (without this, you don't get copies of your sent mail stored on the server? - any issue with server being set up with Sent folder a subfolder to Inbox?)

Folders to check with poll - Only 1st Class folders is the default - what are first class folders? (an explanation of this will probably go a long way to answering some of the later settings)

Folders to check with push - ditto

When I delete a message (Delete from server) - If I have expunge checked but have this set to "do not delete from server" what happens?

Auto-expand folder... just one?

Folders to display (all except 2nd Class folders)

Move/copy destination folders (move/copy them from where to where?)

Folder to search (All)

nightfishing#AC

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Folder poll check frequency - always set to NEVER if you are PUSHING.

Integrated Inbox - adds a virtual "folder" to the account list that acts as an Integrated Inbox (shows inbox messages from all accounts)

All messages - lists all messages that are in searchable folders (searchable folders determined by "searchable folders setting" in each account)

Background sync...- this determines if/how K-9 follows the sync/data rules of the phone. "Background Data" is a setting found in phone settings>accounts and sync.

All you ever wanted to know about "classes"

WorkingWithClasses - k9mail - How to use K-9's folder class system - Project Hosting on Google Code

NOTE: leaving classing untouched is fine for most folks.

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I have really struggled with this email client. The basic set up was easy but I cannot get it to do everything I want it to and I am not sure if the client doesn?t offer those options or I just haven?t set it up correctly. I have dug around and but still fill even more lost.
I loaded this client because it?s said that it used less battery life than the standard client.
Here is basically what I want:
Gmail account: pushed to phone as soon as it comes in
Comcast account: Synced every cpuple of hours
Yahoo account: synced every 12 hours.

Is this possible?

Also:
Does Polling mean ?syncing?
Is it possible to download pictures automatically?
Any help would be appreciated.

TMW597

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know why they haven't updated the market version?

Will I loose my settings if I update from the market version to the latest (2705)?

Taking it a step further, I'm wondering where the data for the settings are stored. If you do a full uninstall and then reinstall will your settings be gone, and you have to reset up all of your email accounts?

jeekdog

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Taking it a step further, I'm wondering where the data for the settings are stored. If you do a full uninstall and then reinstall will your settings be gone, and you have to reset up all of your email accounts?

What you describe is how it seems to be. I un/reinstalled and had to re-set-up everything.

IloveMyDroid

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Wow, lot's of good information.
I just set up K-9 on my incredible to synch with a couple of yahoo accounts.
So far, so good.

My question ... is there a way to log off an account, or lock the whole app?
I wouldn't want my kid or anyone else picking up my phone and suddenly having full access to all of my email.
I'd hate to go back to Yahoo's single account at a time app, but at least it let's me log off!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member