Alternate keyboards and sensitive info

AWDmonster

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone, my gf and I have started using different keyboards (her swype on droid, me ShapeWriter on incredible) and we were just wondering if anyone has had any trouble with sensitive info such as bank info, passwords etc getting stolen or something? That warning that pops up when you first use the keyboard just kind of made me think as I searched and couldn't find anything on people mentioning anything.

Thanks in advance!

nightfishing#AC

May 3, 2010
Visit site
It is a possibility.

You need to decide if you trust the companies or not.

I am plenty confident in Swype, myself, but I would never make that judgement for anyone else.

You could always switch to the stock kb for sensitive logins. I don't bank from my phone, so i have limited exposure.

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I haven't heard of problems, but similar to nightfishing, I assume that most anything I send over a phone can be potentially grabbed over the air or if someone gets the phone. Probably the situation isn't nearly that bad, but I act as it is, and just avoid doing things like banking over my phone. I'll admit I've sent a credit card number on a form when ordering stuff, but not often, and with a twinge everytime I did it.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, piggy-backed keyloggers.
I could see that being a legit concern.
However, with the smart users like those here and the other tech forums, you'd think if something malicious was there, it would quickly get exposed.

AWDmonster

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply's!

Yeah I figured if something was up with these types of apps, something should have popped up by now. I will probably just continue switching from ShapeWriter to stock Sense board when typing in more sensitive info.

superflush

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone, my gf and I have started using different keyboards (her swype on droid, me ShapeWriter on incredible) and we were just wondering if anyone has had any trouble with sensitive info such as bank info, passwords etc getting stolen or something? That warning that pops up when you first use the keyboard just kind of made me think as I searched and couldn't find anything on people mentioning anything.

Hm, I don't know about you, but I have PINs for a bank stuff.
For both Mint and USAA, I have a 4-digit PIN. So when I open the app, I don't need to enter my email/username or my long password, just my PIN. And the PIN by itself isn't very useful.

That being said, I guess I just trust it. I've been using the Android Central HTC_IME keyboard that is on this site, and just got the Swype beta tonight.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
That warning that pops up when you first use the keyboard just kind of made me think as I searched and couldn't find anything on people mentioning anything.
Pay attention to the warnings next time. Do any of them include any form of communication? In my experience, most keyboard apps don't which means the dev would need physical access to retrieve any info collected with malicious intent. ;)

superflush

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Pay attention to the warnings next time. Do any of them include any form of communication? In my experience, most keyboard apps don't which means the dev would need physical access to retrieve any info collected with malicious intent. ;)

I think the warning for Swype was for contact info and phone status.
Contact info is so that if you are trying to spell someone's name, it may recognize it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non