Even after Froyo, Google still doesn't want my money...

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm putting this in the app forum because it has to do with apps in general.

Even with Froyo being released, one bug that Google still has yet to fix is with limitations of those who use GAFYD (Google Apps For Your Domain). Here's a quick description of the issue:

The user has a Google Apps account using their domain's e-mail address. Since Google does not offer all services through Google Apps specifically, the user also has a "Google Account" using that same e-mail address. This is the way that Google themselves has recommended doing things. So I will use my situation as the breakdown:

Google services and the account "type" they belong to:
Mail: GAFYD
Talk: GAFYD
Contacts: GAFYD
Checkout: Google Account
Reader: Google Account
Voice: Google Account

Those are just a couple examples.

So to make a long story short, when you attempt to make a purchase in the Market, the phone recognizes it as a GAFYD account (I assume based on how it authenticated the Gmail syncing) which does not have Checkout tied to it. In Eclair, clicking "Buy" would just immediately bring you to the new account setup page for the phone. Now, with Froyo, they give you a warning saying "None of the accounts on your phone are supported by Google Checkout. Please add a new account." But the account is already there. So at that point, you're stuck.

Any user in this situation might also be familiar with the Google Voice issue that is based around the same cause. But in Google Voice, it would then let you manually enter different logon credentials. And by just entering your account credentials again, it re-authenticates it and recognizes it as a Google Account.

So basically, I have no ability to purchase anything from the Market. This is a bug that Google has acknowledged and is widespread around the Google boards. But it has yet to be fixed. A "workaround" has been given that involves setting up a secondary account, tying accounts together, and some other stuff. But I have no intention of doing all that for a bug that should have been fixed long ago.

So until then, I guess Google doesn't want my money. I'll continue to pay the devs directly when I need an app.

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm putting this in the app forum because it has to do with apps in general.

Even with Froyo being released, one bug that Google still has yet to fix is with limitations of those who use GAFYD (Google Apps For Your Domain). Here's a quick description of the issue:

The user has a Google Apps account using their domain's e-mail address. Since Google does not offer all services through Google Apps specifically, the user also has a "Google Account" using that same e-mail address. This is the way that Google themselves has recommended doing things. So I will use my situation as the breakdown:

Google services and the account "type" they belong to:
Mail: GAFYD
Talk: GAFYD
Contacts: GAFYD
Checkout: Google Account
Reader: Google Account
Voice: Google Account

Those are just a couple examples.

So to make a long story short, when you attempt to make a purchase in the Market, the phone recognizes it as a GAFYD account (I assume based on how it authenticated the Gmail syncing) which does not have Checkout tied to it. In Eclair, clicking "Buy" would just immediately bring you to the new account setup page for the phone. Now, with Froyo, they give you a warning saying "None of the accounts on your phone are supported by Google Checkout. Please add a new account." But the account is already there. So at that point, you're stuck.

Any user in this situation might also be familiar with the Google Voice issue that is based around the same cause. But in Google Voice, it would then let you manually enter different logon credentials. And by just entering your account credentials again, it re-authenticates it and recognizes it as a Google Account.

So basically, I have no ability to purchase anything from the Market. This is a bug that Google has acknowledged and is widespread around the Google boards. But it has yet to be fixed. A "workaround" has been given that involves setting up a secondary account, tying accounts together, and some other stuff. But I have no intention of doing all that for a bug that should have been fixed long ago.

So until then, I guess Google doesn't want my money. I'll continue to pay the devs directly when I need an app.

google doesn't seem to be as hungry for every penny they can get as apple is
why do u care who gets teh money for the apps anyways most people just want their apps they don't have any real concern about who actually gets the money yes it should be intgrated and easier then it is

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
google doesn't seem to be as hungry for every penny they can get as apple is
why do u care who gets teh money for the apps anyways most people just want their apps they don't have any real concern about who actually gets the money yes it should be intgrated and easier then it is

Oh trust me, I personally don't care. In fact, I'd rather the developer get a full 100% directly. But not all devs offer a direct buy option. And not only that, but that would mean manually going to each individual apps site, buying, completing checkout, etc. and then repeating the process. It makes it much more of a hassle.

slwatts

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Silly me. I have had my EVO for a little over a Month and am just discovering this bug. I intentionally didn't buy an app during my trial period. Oh well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkeman