Beautiful Widget Battery Use

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I have a Droid Incredible and I installed Beautiful Widgets yesterday and started messing around with home screens. As soon as I started using the Widgets, my GPS activity "arrows" were constantly on... I even just removed the Widgets AND all icons and the GPS activity is still on...

Yes, I know I can turn GPS to "911 only" but I've never had a problem before this... If you look below, I had my phone off the charger for over 4 hours and the GPS activity shows it was on constantly for that entire time. It killed my battery down to 54% (On the Seidio 3500 battery in which I've been getting 2 full days out of)... 60% of this usage is Beautiful Widgets... Any ideas?

4788115028_e68d32a6f1.jpg

4787482629_f353f5e4d9.jpg

coach

May 17, 2010
Visit site
why is the satellite running on the phone? do you have maps or navigation open and running? that's (obviously) a huge drain on the battery. i've been running beautiful widgets for about a week now and have no battery issues associated with it.

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I ALWAYS leave GPS on... Makes it easier for me when I switch on applications that use it... The problem is, even thought I have it set to "ON", it never has activity until I use an app that requests access... As you can even see in my screen cap, the radar dish with green lines (Activity) is even on then and never blinks off... I don't understand that or how Beautiful Widgets could use 60% of the systems battery use...

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
with beautiful widgets the best way to use it and maintain decent battery life is to make it run off of a set location. i just type in my zip code and the temps are relatively the same as my home location wherever i go. unless you travel a lot, it isn't really necessary to have it run off of the gps location

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
But even if the Geolocation and GPS is on in the settings, wouldn't it only update this info every 3 hours? That's what I have it set to...

Also, once I removed all the Widgets from the home screen, why would GPS keep constantly communicating? Wow this is frustrating...

jnick#AC

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded Beautiful Widgets last night and am having the SAME exact issue.

1. If turn GPS updating off within Beautiful Widgets, it will NOT update my area, even on a force refresh. Their weather app will show the right City, but the home widget will NOT update.

2. If I turn GPS updating on and force it to update, it will CONTINUOUSLY search for data using the GPS and will not stop unless I reboot the phone.

Again, this just started when I began using Beautiful Widgets. I normally leave GPS on and never had problems. It's a shame because a lot of the comments in the market stated how it does not work properly. The Dev stated that it was due to the weather source (google weather). It seems like that may have been pat of the problem, but it's no where near the end all.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
You do not need to use gps on BW. And if you leave gps on it will still ping sats even if you don't run any apps. Gps and Bluetooth are the biggest battery killers. I have BW and have no issue and I use cellular location set at 30mins. Also task killers are problematic

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Uninstall it and redownload it? Also just try with the geolocation selected. It may have kept trying to get a GPS lock when you were inside, might be why it stayed on.

Vagrant_1

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have BW and I never have that issue and I update every 30mins. Like someone above said did u set ur location with zip? I been running BW for over 2 months no hassles