Android Market Phone Security

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have looked around and I have not had any luck finding a application or setting that restricts a person from downloading items from the Android Market on my phone without my knowledge if they get phone... Since the application saves credit card information all they have to do is click buy and application will install... Is there a way to add security to this feature that I am overlooking?

wmtoandroid

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Since the Market and other phone services (gmail, calendar, contacts) relies on your Google Account, if you lose your phone, just change your google password and your data is protected. Your credit card data is actually saved in the Googles Checkout page, not your phone.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Since the Market and other phone services (gmail, calendar, contacts) relies on your Google Account, if you lose your phone, just change your google password and your data is protected. Your credit card data is actually saved in the Googles Checkout page, not your phone.

So what is with the link under the option to buy something that reference to my card, can I remove this information, my point is that if I allow someone to use my phone to make call and while they got it they go to the market on the device, what is to stop them from clicking buy on something and it comes off my card, if there isn't anyway way to restrict this the security possibilities is there... I sure hope I am not the only one noticing a concern on this subject..

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I always lock my phone, personally some of my contact information is more valuable than what they could spend in the Market. Remember that buying stuff in the market is an annoyance, but if it's on your dime it's on your account. And you can return it within xx days (too lazy to look it up). I'd be more concerned with them sideloading malware than buying stuff on the Market.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I always lock my phone, personally some of my contact information is more valuable than what they could spend in the Market. Remember that buying stuff in the market is an annoyance, but if it's on your dime it's on your account. And you can return it within xx days (too lazy to look it up). I'd be more concerned with them sideloading malware than buying stuff on the Market.

OK? Thanks but this isn't a solution, I was using this as a example, there are applications to lock and restrict users from accessing personal information on device without a security password on other platforms and I was simply looking for something like this... And it really has nothing to do with being "Lazy" as you phrased it, it is becoming amazing the number of condescending remarks that can come from asking a simple question. I worry about sideloading security also and this is why I disable feature to install from unknown sources to minimize this possibility........ But thanks anyway, I'll just look on other sources for this answer.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Not trying to be condescending, just letting you know my solution is to lock the entire phone and not individual apps, sorry if you misread my response. BTW, I was referring to myself as being too lazy to look up the return policy. :)

Good luck in your search.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Not trying to be condescending, just letting you know my solution is to lock the entire phone and not individual apps, sorry if you misread my response. BTW, I was referring to myself as being too lazy to look up the return policy. :)

Good luck in your search.

My bad, sorry I misunderstood your post, hope I can find something because the locking phone option wouldnt work because the purpose was to stop a person that I allow to make call from device (which would have device unlocked) from accessing any other part of my device..

Update: Smart Lock seems to have possibilities on doing what I need......
Check it here YouTube - Smart Lock Overview - Child Lock

wmtoandroid

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
So what is with the link under the option to buy something that reference to my card, can I remove this information, my point is that if I allow someone to use my phone to make call and while they got it they go to the market on the device, what is to stop them from clicking buy on something and it comes off my card, if there isn't anyway way to restrict this the security possibilities is there... I sure hope I am not the only one noticing a concern on this subject..

You could use something like this:

App Lock - Android app on AppBrain

or this:

App Protector Pro - Android app on AppBrain

Or you could remove your credit card from the Google Checkout.

Or you could password your phone.

Or you could not allow anyone to use your phone (at least not someone who you think is going to go on an Android Market shopping spree :D )

There are so many options, but I don't think any of them are really necessary.

Nebilim

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I dont know who would steal your phone JUST to buy stuff from the market seems a little bit ridiculous for me...but everything should be protected via google as long as you lock your phone

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
:D Ha Ha, you guys got jokes..:) Like I reported before the Market was just a example, I have more important information to more important accounts but I chose to make it simple on my request...... Thanks for the information I will look into these apps and decide.

Update; wmtoandroid App Lock was just what I needed... Thanks Again..

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38