Facebook "Install new build" notification?

ratedr79

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Is this new? Received a notification, and just seems odd to me. Why there would be a new build, but not come from the market, er Play. The download link goes to facebook.com/releases but part of me just wondered if this was even safe. Anybody familiar with this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-06-18-44-49.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-06-18-44-49.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_2013-03-06-18-38-33.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-06-18-38-33.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 75

konbon

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same issue today. I thought it was because I rooted my phone today and messed with something I shouldn't have. Would like to know what this is about. It's really annoying.

Djmike0408

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting this too. I'm not rooted but I'm worried this may not be on the up and up. Why wouldn't this get updated through the Play store?

I did see an article that the news feed is changing tomorrow.... So maybe this has something to do with that?

Djmike0408

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
So ... It's legit then? Surprised the update didn't come through Play.

I wonder if this update has something to do with the new "news feed" they are announcing later today for Facebook.

ratedr79

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure. I've been canceling the update and still a little gun shy to install the apk. Getting the update this way and not through play with no mention of it elsewhere just seems odd.

Jon Gurgul

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the same thing on my EVO 4G LTE. Just got it ( lookout says it's safe) I clicked install and nothing happend so I clicked cancel in the top right corner a couple of times and normal facebook came back.

joedirt2217

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I had the same thing. I installed it and don't notice any differences. I made a backup of the older version just in case. I am wondering why this is being pushed out like this. I can not find anything online other than posts like this one.

UPDATE: I wonder if it has anything to do in preparation for this? (Version went from 2.2.1 to 2.2.1-G1)

Facebook News Feed redesign | CNET

Last edited:

Skurvy_Pirate

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering why as well. My first thought was a permissions change they didn't want to push through the market. It makes me suspicious they aren't doing it through the market though and I keep dismissing it, but it comes back like every hour. About to uninstall the app until it is figured out.

joedirt2217

May 19, 2010
Visit site
One thing I did notice that was new in this update, when you get a FB notification, it now displays the persons profile picture.

Mas21

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I was forced to do this update for Facebook on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus (AOKP; 4.2.2) on 3/6/13. I just (3/13/13) got forced to do this update on my Nexus 10 (stock; 4.2.2). I was forced to upgrade to Facebook version 2.2.1-g1 on both devices. This "update" makes me very uneasy because it wasn't done through Google Play. When I agreed to install it assured me that no new permissions were needed. I'm thinking (want to believe) it might be a test build from Facebook for the newest Android build 4.2.2. I can't find any information on this "update." I am now wondering if anyone else has any information/insights or if they can share the devices and Android versions they are running.

craigery96

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I recently got this notification on my Acer IconiaTab A500. I tried to install the new build, but I received a parsing error and it did not install. What went wrong?

amrivlin

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I have this problem. I generally install any trusted app update from the app store, and I "trust" the app store. I feel like my facebook app is not playing fair and it concerns me. What if it isn't even facebook itself? Also my GS3 recently told me my app authorization had expired and to relogin. I uninstalled Facebook and started fresh.

Facebook fix this concern.

cotys

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I have this problem. I generally install any trusted app update from the app store, and I "trust" the app store. I feel like my facebook app is not playing fair and it concerns me. What if it isn't even facebook itself? Also my GS3 recently told me my app authorization had expired and to relogin. I uninstalled Facebook and started fresh.

Facebook fix this concern.

I agree, they have ignored every Google Play setting. I even have mine set to download on WIFI only. I'm now below 30% battery because this update keeps coming back while I'm on spotty Spring coverage. Even uninstalling the app doesn't kill it. Its just like Facebook to ignore the rules and screw it up.

Cowql8er

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue with the app trying to install over data network instead of over wifi. Every time that I did a force stop on the download, it would just start up again in a few seconds. I eventually uninstalled FB and did a force stop and all went quiet. Supposedly it was only sent to those who had the mobile FB installed, only sent over wifi (not true), and only to those who would accept from "unknown" sources (read: everybody who has installed amazon app store and not gone back to uncheck that box.) If they can't update it through the Play store, they can keep it. I found this to be way over the top.

Daverk

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I thought Facebook are concerned with the atrocious Android performance but this kind of over the top behaviour isn't winning them any kudos