Unrooted Screen Capture Solution????

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a question about a screen shot application on a unrooted app, can someone explain how Lock2 app can take screen shots without being rooted? I took these shots with it on my unrooted Droid x after I made a full screen theme for my device, I am surprised someone hasn't investigated using a similar way to take a shot of any screen area.. Heres examples I did with my device:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
without getting overly technical, the reason you cant take screen captures on the phone with stock is because its a potential security issue. the technology to do it is already there; as a matter of fact, some third-party launchers allow you to take screen shots unrooted. if you really want to take screen shots, either root your device, or you can do this

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
First thing this is more of a learning question, I know about all those ways and I do understand the security restrictions that is in play but I was wondering about the method the developer of the Lock2 app used to give the ability to do screen shots, in the pass I could create a application to access the command used by another app to accomplish the function required, this should be able to be accomplished UNROOTED.. My knowledge of android hasn't developed to the point I am working for after dealing with WM for so many years.

Also if I wanted to root my device I would but some of the simplest things should not require a bypass of a security configuration, I like to believe there is other ways to approach this situation.

Thanks for your answer but it was not a answer of what I was asking for...

Last edited:

reagan247

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm actually wondering the same thing... if basic apps in the Market can access the file structure and coding to take a screenshot (and not be in security violation) why hasn't someone taken that ability and mapped it to a simple screenshot program that can work without root needed? I mean it's clear that if the lockscreen app can do it on an unrooted phone, then clearly it's just a matter of code. I'm interested in seeing where this thread goes, and if it can produce an application - or at least, an answer.

reagan247

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
This kind of sucks... Has anyone gotten ahold of the programmer who made the Lock2 app yet and asked/requested development of a screen capture program? Seems like the developer might know how to do it... lol

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
was searching around and found this old thread.. bump. as far as i can tell i have to root or have a usb anchor to take a screen shot still.

any news?

prjctchris

Jan 17, 2011
www.prjctmobile.com
Try No Root Screenshot It. You need a USB tether and desktop app installed to get it going, but as long as your phone isn't restarted you can snap screenshots as much as you'd like without the tether.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
We know all the ways. But the point of this thread is that supposedly this lock app does it without root OR usb. I've emailed the creator of the lock 2 App. Still waiting to hear back.

Sent from my DInc2 with Tapatalk

valorian

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
When I had my Blackberry it was very easy to do a screen capture and there was never a mention of security issues. Why is it a security issue on Android but not Blackberry?

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Big Apple must not care about security either. Comes as a built in feature.

The thing is this, there's a hand full of Android phones that have it built in too. It makes no sense.

Sent from my DInc2 with Tapatalk