Lookout?

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
There is not one. Those that have the nuke operation from my playing are not reliable yet.

I see no point in antivirus for an android Phone the same reason i do not use an anti virus on my Linux Box at home.

I do Like Lookout for the feature of being able to locate the phone. However I didn't see the Nuke option on the website.. How do I enable the ability to Nuke or wipe the phone if its lost or stolen?

Scott_L#AC

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Are there any other apps that offer just the locate feature? I grabbed "Where's my Droid", but haven't tested it yet. I get the feeling it may not be the same thing. Thanks.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
When my Cliq got corrupted after the 2.1 upgrade, Lookout was missing its encryption keys and it locked up my phone. Luckily, I got into ATK on bootup and killed it so I could get into the factory reset menu.

That's definitely not the norm though...

Vegasden

May 13, 2010
vegasden.net
I see no point in antivirus for an android Phone the same reason i do not use an anti virus on my Linux Box at home.

I do Like Lookout for the feature of being able to locate the phone. However I didn't see the Nuke option on the website.. How do I enable the ability to Nuke or wipe the phone if its lost or stolen?

The "nuke" capability is available in the "Premium" (i.e. paid) version.
$3 a month or $30 a year
https://www.mylookout.com/premium/

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Most of us on the forums know way more than almost any VZW rep about android. These are the same guys that think Task manager should be on all devices and its the solution to global warming. I would suggest to do research in the forums before ever taking the word of a VZW rep

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Sorry guys but it might be true, although not universal. My new sharp phone was locking up pretty regularly until I removed lookout.

So far so good.

Sent from my SH-03C

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Sorry guys but it might be true, although not universal. My new sharp phone was locking up pretty regularly until I removed lookout.

So far so good.

Sent from my SH-03C

i believe its possible that it could have cause some force closes or bugs,,,but to brick a phone,, i find that extremely hard to believe

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
i believe its possible that it could have cause some force closes or bugs,,,but to brick a phone,, i find that extremely hard to believe

So do I. I don't remember my Nexus One locking up on me in the past 5 months since I've been running Cyanogenmod, only when I was running some experimental/unstable ROMs (early Desire ROM ports, etc).

I installed Lookout the first day I had my Sharp phone (Android 2.1 phone from Japan). It's been crashing regularly since then, at least once a day. Sometimes wifi would lock up first, then soon after the phone would reboot. Sometimes the phone itself would lock up (still power button was responding long enough to turn the screen off, then I couldn't turn it back on nor could I press-and-hold to reboot etc). I was beginning to worry that the phone was a badly-made phone and shoulda gotten something more reliable.. But then I decided to uninstall Lookout.

So far, 24 h later, no crashes or lockups. Crossing my fingers.

I find it as unbelievable as you guys here, but those are the facts as I have observed them, so I must come to the conclusion that Lookout was causing problems.

Patrix

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So do I. I don't remember my Nexus One locking up on me in the past 5 months since I've been running Cyanogenmod, only when I was running some experimental/unstable ROMs (early Desire ROM ports, etc).

I installed Lookout the first day I had my Sharp phone (Android 2.1 phone from Japan). It's been crashing regularly since then, at least once a day. Sometimes wifi would lock up first, then soon after the phone would reboot. Sometimes the phone itself would lock up (still power button was responding long enough to turn the screen off, then I couldn't turn it back on nor could I press-and-hold to reboot etc). I was beginning to worry that the phone was a badly-made phone and shoulda gotten something more reliable.. But then I decided to uninstall Lookout.

So far, 24 h later, no crashes or lockups. Crossing my fingers.

I find it as unbelievable as you guys here, but those are the facts as I have observed them, so I must come to the conclusion that Lookout was causing problems.

Patrix

yeah but it didnt brick your phone

brw9100

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I took my phone to VZW today for a minor issue and the tech there told me that Lookout was more virus than anti-virus. I've been running it for several months now with no issues.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I personally like NetQuin. I never did like the idea that lookout only seems to scan apps, not the whole phone. While NetQuin doesn't have auto update and auto scan (must do manually), I still feel better about the ability to do a deep system scan.

Has Lookout expanded since I used it to scan the entire system?

And to stay on topic, Lookout never gave me any bricking problems.

irish22022

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't have lookout scan anything because I don't download anything shady. Simple as that. Unless you're sideloading chinese apps on websites that aren't in english or god knows what, you should be okay.

Anyone get the new lookout update? Turns on GPS automatically? That's great if it works. I thought that Android didn't allow that.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

irish22022

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
yeahh I have heard a few of those stories. But that is just using the cellular satellites. The GPS is super accurate, like 10 times more so then the network stuff.

I live in NYC, not Paterson NJ. If lookout uses the network, it will say anywhere within a half mile. If you've been to NYC, you know how much a half mile can be.

demiles

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I for one dumped Lookout. I was getting reboots every few hours on my D2 and it seems the reason may have been Lookout. After removing all has been good for 3 days now. I very disappointed with the long list of permissions this app had. No it didn't brick my phone but it runs alot better without it.

sdoo25

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I've had it for almost a year, first on a blackberry and the last month on Nexus S and wife has it on her Cliq. No problems on any of our phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo