Firefox Fennec

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Holy 32mb file batman! Thank goodness you can move it to the SD card if you're running Froyo!

I just downloaded it now from Mozilla.com | Mobile I'm having some issues opening it up and using it on my Droid at the moment so Im rebooting and seeing if I can get it going...but wow that's a monster size file.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It does seem to open slow, and i didn't realize it was that big of an install. That's bigger than Dolphin HD! For an alpha build it seems to pretty good. Pinch to zoom takes an extra second, but it renders well and has extension support, so I think it will be awesome when it's officially released.

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I got it working now, just took alittle longer than I thought. Im playing around with it now and it seems to be pretty slick. The sync with the bookmarks from your pc and android is nice.

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
This will be the reason why I never install it. If they can get it down to 5-8mb, I'll consider it, but anything over 20MB is a complete waste of storage space and system resources.
It's obviously made for FroYo users. Apps will grow in size as the platform matures and phones get more internal storage space, that's just how it is. Installing it on a 2.1 phone without 8GB internal like the new phones might not be an option, indeed.

I can't get the download working. It just comes up with a non-format file that's a few bytes big. Ideas?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's obviously made for FroYo users. Apps will grow in size as the platform matures and phones get more internal storage space, that's just how it is. Installing it on a 2.1 phone without 8GB internal like the new phones might not be an option, indeed.

I can't get the download working. It just comes up with a non-format file that's a few bytes big. Ideas?

IDK. I downloaded mine using opera and it worked fine. I agree about the storage. Look at apps on computers. As hard drives got bigger so did the amount of space apps took up. But with that came (usually) increased functionality and more features.

I'll buy a bigger SD for more features and better apps if I need them.

And it's an alpha release for a reason. The install size might still get streamlined.

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The download from Mozilla's site's still not working for me. Could someone be kind enough to throw this up on a mirror somewhere, like Megaupload or something?

initialjdg

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I just checked it out, have about 15 minutes with it and am still using 2.1 on my droid X despite my better judgement.
it seems to be working really well but the lack of automatic resizing of pics and texts in forums to fit the screen make it semi unusable on my X.
when the pics are small enough to view the text is unreadable and when the pics are big enough to view you have to scroll left and right for every line of texts, makes it really suck, beyond that I really dig it. the file size isn't a biggie to me personally, but I could definitely see how it could be for users of older phones.

if the text and picture sizing issue was resolved it would be my primary browser.

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I can give you a link that should let you download it.

Mozilla.com | Mobile

go there from the browser on your phone and try it.
That's the one I tried before, doesn't work. It says "Download starting..." and then it finishes instantly. The only file it downloads is something called "firefox-alpha-1.install" that's only 272 bytes and has no file extension.

EDIT: Found a mirror on Gizmodo. Installing now. :)

EDIT2: Aaaaand it won't run. Just a black screen when I start it. xD

Last edited:

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm using it too. So far I'm not incredibly impressed with it. It has been slow to me, and it isn't interacting well with the hard keyboard on my d2. It seems to work better with the soft keyboard.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It gave me a black screen too for a while. It works for me, and I gave it a shot. It looks promising and I hope they can get it to at least be on par with dolphin HD.

With that said I'm sticking with dolphin for now. I'm not giving up on Fennec, though, because it's an alpha build. Just letting it take a break. :p

Aspiring Developer

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I can give you a link that should let you download it.

Mozilla.com | Mobile

go there from the browser on your phone and try it.

I get an "".install" file there.
DLed it to my PC and changed the extension to .txt

the contents were as follows
-------------------------------------
[install]
repo_deb_3 = deb http://moff.mozilla.com/latest-alpha/maemo/en-US fremantle release
catalogues = fennec
package = fennec

[fennec]
name = Mozilla en-US Alpha Catalog
uri = http://moff.mozilla.com/latest-alpha/maemo/en-US/
dist = fremantle
components = release
-------------------------------------

no joy on getting anything from those sites.

Any suggestions?

Aaron C#AC

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
In order to download on my EVO I had to go and turn on MOBILE website setting in the android browser. Then CLOSE the browser (with a task killer) and then GO BACK to the download site. Otherwise I too was getting the .install file.
Once I did the above, it started to download and install.
If you are running 2.2 dont forget to move to SD card...its over 30 meg installed!

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
It's taking way too long to load up, and when it does the pages are much slower to load than on dolphin or the stock. I'll keep it installed and watch for more updates. Im not giving up on it either, it's FF after all so you know it's going to be good as they continue to work out the bugs and add features. I'll go back to dolphin or the stock browser for now and see how Fennec unfolds.

Maven454

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
In order to download on my EVO I had to go and turn on MOBILE website setting in the android browser. Then CLOSE the browser (with a task killer) and then GO BACK to the download site. Otherwise I too was getting the .install file.
Once I did the above, it started to download and install.

Same thing. If you have your browser set for full pages instead of mobile pages, it can't tell that you're using Android and doesn't know what to give you. I've run into that some other places as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Longhorn