Searching for a navigation app that does CUSTOM routes and turn-by-turn...

Allen_B

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I have been searching for a nav app I can use when riding a motorcycle that allows me to customize the route. The issue I am encountering with the apps I have found is they don't have the ability to specify a route- it will choose what it thinks is the best route.

I can build a route in google maps using a specific route, but there is no way (I can find) to get it into the Maps app to utilize the turn-by-turn directions. I was able to log into Google Maps using the browser on the phone, go to menu and select "My Places" and then select directions and open the route in the browser. The problem is when I attempt to open the route with the Maps app instead (to utilize the turn-by-turn function of the app), the app won't load the route stating it has no result for various points.

Here is an example of a route, again the intent is to get an app that would give turn-by-turn directions so I can get the prompts hands free during a ride:

http://goo.gl/maps/ETKM8

This has proven very frustrating... If someone can suggest a work-around or a navigation app that allows custom routes, I'd appreciate it!

/r

Allen

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Osmsnd can use a route from google maps...you can use online converter to change the kml from google maps into gpx that Osmand uses.

Even better Osmand let's y you build your own custom routes right in the app.

Lots of options available. Favorite paves can be put into nested folders so you can keep a lot of then without having a big list.

The built in auto-route (quickest way from A to B) is not that good, especially for long distances

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Allen_B

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! Will download Osmand this weekend and test it out.

Having to convert the KML file over seems like it would be a PITA but worth a look.

Why the hell can't Google integrate the app and site functionality?! It can't be that hard to add a freaking button in google maps to "Export Directions to Maps App" FFS...

/r

Allen

Bobbosax

Aug 20, 2018
Visit site
Osmsnd can use a route from google maps...you can use online converter to change the kml from google maps into gpx that Osmand uses.

Even better Osmand let's y you build your own custom routes right in the app.

Lots of options available. Favorite paves can be put into nested folders so you can keep a lot of then without having a big list.

The built in auto-route (quickest way from A to B) is not that good, especially for long distances

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

OSMAND rocks! Created a route in Basecamp, exported it to a GPX file on the cloud, click on the GPX file from my mobile phone which automatically imported the GPX into OSMAND and was useable as a complete set of instructions all the way from the origine to the destination.

Thanks a million for this, I have been looking for quite sometime for the solution.

Thanks Again! :)