IM that works with Blackberry IM - possible?

sanibel

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Got many friends with Blackberry: Can I IM with them if they use the Blackberry IM? Is there an IM app that can do that?

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
The best option is to convince them that a proprietary, exclusionary application is the wrong way to go and they should use an XMPP-based solution like Google Talk :)

Barring that, keep an eye out for CrossTalk by Blue Planet Apps. I don't think it's done yet, but they've got a lot of very interesting software in the works.

sanibel

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
The best option is to convince them that a proprietary, exclusionary application is the wrong way to go and they should use an XMPP-based solution like Google Talk :)
Blackberry users tend to be stubborn (been there -- done that :)).

Barring that, keep an eye out for CrossTalk by Blue Planet Apps. I don't think it's done yet, but they've got a lot of very interesting software in the works.
Looks very interesting, thanks! (They say it'll be ready by August, 2010...;))

Cubanjinx

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Being an ex bb user I know how stubborn they are in thinking research in slow motion is amazing but they just need someone to show them something different. As for pingchat...Idk I tried it and didn't like it. And crosstalk...not to bad mouth that guy but I remember when he opened up a thread announincing it earlier this yr and IMO think it will never happen. RIM would never let someone into their circle. I just use gtalk.

BluePLanetMan

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Just to put all the fears at rest... CrossTalk is coming... its been delayed due to development of BioLock but as soon as we can delve back into it, we will get it on schedule and get you all into a nice cozy beta to play with.

-BluePlanetMan ;)

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Cross talk sounds very cool, but until it is out, I will continue to use pingchat. I have had minor issues with pingchat as to getting pings in a resonable amount of time, but 90% of the time, it was because of something on the phone, not Pingchats servers. I will continue to use Pingchat as it is the only cross platform IM services that allows voice, pictures, texts, and group chat that I am aware of. It works with iOS, android, and BB as long as BB is 5.0 or higher. I have become very dependent on message reciepts.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Got many friends with Blackberry: Can I IM with them if they use the Blackberry IM? Is there an IM app that can do that?
Nope. An app isn't sufficient. A device has to have a BB PIN and access to RIM's network (only possible with a BB data plan granting access to the BB APN).

You'll have to get your stubborn BB users to realize that there are IM clients that work on multiple platforms. Jivetalk works really well on the BB and supports the majors. It's what I used to chat with my friends that used Yahoo IM, AIM, MSN, etc on my BB. IIRC it's not free though.

I think BBM should just sale bbm as an app to all platforms
Why would they when their own users are making it a selling point for BB devices? Have you seen how many "How can I BBM on Android?" threads there are everywhere?