Battery Drain with 3rd party Home launchers?

Shaner

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I have an HTC Desire running 2.2. I run HTC Sense, Launcher Pro and tinker with ADW. Has anyone observed a decrease in battery life between those three home UIs? Just curious. I seem to have lower battery life with Launcher Pro....but it could just be me...:D

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
It may be a result of which widgets you're using in LP. I see no significant change in battery consumption using LP on my HTC device.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I haven't heard or seen of any battery issues with any of the major third party launchers. Bear in mind that if you have a lot of Widgets running those will be pulling information and using more of your battery.

Sent from my Fascinate via Tapatalk Pro

HYDE

Banned
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I used LauncherPro on my EVO running Fresh ROM and it killed my battery. I was using the exact same widgets (GPS, 4G, Airplane and WiFi) that I used with Sense so I don't think that was it. When I say it killed my battery, I mean I was getting 4-5 hours off of mild use. When I went back to Sense, battery life went back to around 15 - 20 hours.

Shaner

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
okay...

Third party Launchers kill batteries and corrupt software? Can you explain further? I appreciate the response I would just like to know the hows and why's. I really like Launcher pro, more than Sense anyway.

murso74

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Third party Launchers kill batteries and corrupt software? Can you explain further? I appreciate the response I would just like to know the hows and why's. I really like Launcher pro, more than Sense anyway.

never had that problem.. sounds like a trollish generalized statement to me

blastncast

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I run LP Plus on my D Inc and with the stock battery get about 12 hours, when I used Sense exclusively I got about the same. As others have stated the widgets you are using and frequency of sync will make a difference but one thing that will also make a difference are the widgets you have running on Sense while you are on LP. Some of the Sense widgets will continue to update even if you are on LP, I ended up going to the clean slate scene on sense and I was able to notice a difference in battery life.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
where a lot of people run into battery problems with 3rd party launchers is they forget to clear the widgets and shortcuts off of their other launchers. for example, if you want to use LP as your main launcher, you should also clear out all of your homescreens on the stock launcher, otherwise your widgets and shortcuts will essentially be running twice. to the OP, if you bounce between stock, LP, and ADW, and you have widgets set on all 3, you are basically running those widgets 3 times, which will kill your battery/decrease phone performance.

i have used 3rd party launchers for the vast majority of time owning an android device, and have NEVER seen any battery or software issues.

Last edited:

Gerorne

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a dumb question... I installed LauncherPro yesterday, and I never figured out how to exit from it since it doesn't appear in the app drawer. (DInc/android n00b here. Had it for just one week now.)

How do I exit it so I can clear out the widgets in sense like you guys are suggesting?

TechWhore

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to uninstall the widgets on my home screen. I installed home switcher and went out of LP. When I long press and drag to the trash, it pops back up on the screen. Any ideas? It is the calendar, news, gallery, music etc. I guess the stock widgets, I never put them there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I agree also with the Widgets and there update interval. I started using LP about two weeks ago and before that it was all stock on the phone. I get the same battery usuge. I also get about 12 hours with medium usage before the phone needs charging.

blastncast

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to uninstall the widgets on my home screen. I installed home switcher and went out of LP. When I long press and drag to the trash, it poops back up on the screen. Any ideas? It is the calendar, news, gallery, music etc. I guess the stock widgets, I never put them there.

I haven't played with the X at all so I don't know how it is set up but have you checked to see if it has different scenes and wallpapers that you can set your phone to? Work, Play, Blank slate, etc? Most phones have a blank setting with no widgets that you can customize, this would be the best to choose.

awesomo4308

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
You can go to options>applications>laucherpro and then hit "clear defaults". Then when you hit the home button it will let you choose launchers. Clear the others then you can set LP to be default again.

Reactions: Gerorne

TechWhore

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
You can go to options>applications>laucherpro and then hit "clear defaults". Then when you hit the home button it will let you choose launchers. Clear the others then you can set LP to be default again.

I can switch back and forth just fine, I just can't delete the widgets off the stock homescreens. The minute I dump them in the trash, they pop back up into place?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I can switch back and forth just fine, I just can't delete the widgets off the stock homescreens. The minute I dump them in the trash, they pop back up into place?

Try setting your stock homescreen as your default, dumping them, and then changing back your 3rd party launcher as the default.

TechWhore

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I can't seem to set my stock home screen as default. I have tried home switcher and home manager. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non