go sms - messages come to both 'go sms' and stock messaging

duffeymt

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I installed 'go sms' and new text messages go to both this app and my stock messaging app. Is there a way to designate the primary messaging app?

beandon

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
There has to be something in the settings for your stock messaging app, or inside the settings for the entire device for notifications.

what device do you have?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Open stock messanger, from the list of messages hit the menu button>settings>uncheck notifications

then from home screen press the menu button>settings>applications>manage applications>messaging>clear defaults

go to home screen, hit the message icon> it will give you a choice, hit the check mark at the bottom then choose which one you want as default

Reactions: duffeymt

duffeymt

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Open stock messanger, from the list of messages hit the menu button>settings>uncheck notifications

then from home screen press the menu button>settings>applications>manage applications>messaging>clear defaults

go to home screen, hit the message icon> it will give you a choice, hit the check mark at the bottom then choose which one you want as default

Awesome, thank you!

duffeymt

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

I did this for go sms, but decided to uninstall it and try handcent. Now, neither stock messaging or handcent has the option to clear default. Any ideas?

duffeymt

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
both open and it doesnt say at the bottom next to the check mark "Use by default for this action" ?

Right, I got that box when I did this for stock messageing vs go sms, but after uninstalling go sms and installing handcent, I can't get this box to pop up and neither app in manage applications lets me clear defaults.

irish22022

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
yeah, i've never heard of two apps opening on one click like that. you need to uninstall and reinstall. there's no way that would happen twice. weird bug though.

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
after you reinstall, you can let them know of the bug through the feedback option in the menu. you never know if there's others experiencing it so maybe it's a good thing for them to know.

duffeymt

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
sorry, misunderstanding...one click to open one of the messaging apps does not open both...but messages incoming/outgoing are stored in both apps. I am duplicating messages between apps, probably taking up unnecessary space.

I uninstalled and tried again...the stock messaging app still won't let me clear default even when all it's notifications and options under settings are unchecked.

There has to be some weird exact order of steps I need to follow that I haven't come across yet. I'll keep trying.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
No that's the way it is.the app does not store the data. Handcent is just an interface. They share the data

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
think of it like this....
your phone is a house, and a text message is a couch inside the house...
you look in through the window on the side of the house and you see the couch..
then you move to the front of the house and look through the nice windows with curtains and shutters with fancy trimming, you see the same couch...

same concept,, same couch, different window

Reactions: duffeymt