I installed 'go sms' and new text messages go to both this app and my stock messaging app. Is there a way to designate the primary messaging app?
    01-25-2011 03:56 PM
    There has to be something in the settings for your stock messaging app, or inside the settings for the entire device for notifications.

what device do you have?
    01-25-2011 04:06 PM
    Open stock messanger, from the list of messages hit the menu button>settings>uncheck notifications

then from home screen press the menu button>settings>applications>manage applications>messaging>clear defaults

go to home screen, hit the message icon> it will give you a choice, hit the check mark at the bottom then choose which one you want as default
    duffeymt likes this.
    01-25-2011 04:09 PM
    Open stock messanger, from the list of messages hit the menu button>settings>uncheck notifications

then from home screen press the menu button>settings>applications>manage applications>messaging>clear defaults

go to home screen, hit the message icon> it will give you a choice, hit the check mark at the bottom then choose which one you want as default
    Awesome, thank you!
    01-25-2011 04:11 PM
    very welcome
    01-25-2011 04:14 PM
    does the site know it spells advisor wrong?
    lol

you're an adviser!!!!! haha
    01-25-2011 04:16 PM
    does the site know it spells advisor wrong?
    lol

you're an adviser!!!!! haha
    according to this its fine
    Adviser | Define Adviser at Dictionary.com
    01-25-2011 04:18 PM

I did this for go sms, but decided to uninstall it and try handcent. Now, neither stock messaging or handcent has the option to clear default. Any ideas?
    01-25-2011 04:49 PM
    I did this for go sms, but decided to uninstall it and try handcent. Now, neither stock messaging or handcent has the option to clear default. Any ideas?
    what happens when you hit the message button from home screen
    01-25-2011 04:55 PM
    what happens when you hit the message button from home screen
    Both apps open when touched from the home screen and the same messages are in both apps.
    01-25-2011 04:57 PM
    Both apps open when touched from the home screen and the same messages are in both apps.
    both open and it doesnt say at the bottom next to the check mark "Use by default for this action" ?
    01-25-2011 05:02 PM
    both open and it doesnt say at the bottom next to the check mark "Use by default for this action" ?
    Right, I got that box when I did this for stock messageing vs go sms, but after uninstalling go sms and installing handcent, I can't get this box to pop up and neither app in manage applications lets me clear defaults.
    01-25-2011 05:08 PM
    i stand corrected.
    01-25-2011 05:10 PM
    I guess I will just uninstall handcent and start over with just the stock messaging app and give this a try again.
    01-25-2011 05:17 PM
    yeah either uninstall and reinstall, or install go sms and try to clear it from default...i never ran into that sorry
    01-25-2011 05:19 PM
    yeah, i've never heard of two apps opening on one click like that. you need to uninstall and reinstall. there's no way that would happen twice. weird bug though.
    01-25-2011 09:28 PM
    after you reinstall, you can let them know of the bug through the feedback option in the menu. you never know if there's others experiencing it so maybe it's a good thing for them to know.
    01-25-2011 10:11 PM
    sorry, misunderstanding...one click to open one of the messaging apps does not open both...but messages incoming/outgoing are stored in both apps. I am duplicating messages between apps, probably taking up unnecessary space.

I uninstalled and tried again...the stock messaging app still won't let me clear default even when all it's notifications and options under settings are unchecked.

There has to be some weird exact order of steps I need to follow that I haven't come across yet. I'll keep trying.
    01-25-2011 11:02 PM
    No that's the way it is.the app does not store the data. Handcent is just an interface. They share the data

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    01-25-2011 11:05 PM
    think of it like this....
    your phone is a house, and a text message is a couch inside the house...
    you look in through the window on the side of the house and you see the couch..
    then you move to the front of the house and look through the nice windows with curtains and shutters with fancy trimming, you see the same couch...

same concept,, same couch, different window
    duffeymt likes this.
    01-25-2011 11:14 PM
    Excellent, so it's just a pointer. Just wanted to make sure the data wasn't duplicated. Thanks again for all your quick responses!
    01-26-2011 09:15 AM
    think of it like this....
    your phone is a house, and a text message is a couch inside the house...
    you look in through the window on the side of the house and you see the couch..
    then you move to the front of the house and look through the nice windows with curtains and shutters with fancy trimming, you see the same couch...

same concept,, same couch, different window
    Nice Anology! lol
    01-26-2011 10:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD