Is my private information at risk if I delete CM Security?

Rick_F

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I deleted this app a couple of months ago, and recently, I started getting these notifications that I had privacy issue threats. I suspect that this is just a ploy to get me to download CM Security again.

If I don't use the security app will my passwords be at risk?

I appreciate any advice given.

Last edited:

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
You are NOT at risk. This is just more bogus scare tactics from Cheetah Mobile, the creators of the ironically named CM Security. If you do what the notifications ask, you are only installing more crapware which will tell you install more crapware which will tell you to install...well, you get where this is going.

If you just dragged the icon to the trash can, you have not uninstalled CM Security. To uninstall, do this:
Settings > Apps > CM Security > Force stop > Clear cache > Clear data > Uninstall

If you have uninstalled CM Security and the pop-ups continue, try installing Malwarebytes and see if it can find the Cheetah Mobile mole left behind when you uninstalled CM Security. Malwarebytes is not an antivirus program. Do not install antivirus to try and fix this, it won't do any good.

Never install anything by Cheetah Mobile, DU Apps, Go Development Team or 360 Mobile Security, just to name some of the worst offenders.

Rick_F

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, Crash damage. Yeah, I deleted the the app.

You said I should delete all Cheetah products, but what about the booster/cleaner I use? Is it necessary to have a booster/cleaner?

Thanks for the help!

Rick_F

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
To be clear, is it necessary to have ANY security or booster/cleaner apps? Will my device be safe without them? They do seem to slow my phone down.

Rick_F

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the link, Crashdamage. I deleted the app cleaner from my device.

I'm deleting all the pre-installed crap on my phone, and I had wondered if all the cleaner and security apps were really just memory drainers, your linked post really helped clear this up. Thanks!

Do you have any posts relating to bloatware that can be (safely) removed from android phones? I've removed quite a bit already, but I'm trying to get my phone to be a spartan as possible.

Thanks!

Rick_F

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Advanced Task killer is a definite Do Not Install! It's unnecessary and counterproductive! Don't use any task killers, RAM memory optimizers/boosters, battery savers/repairers, cache cleaners, etc. They are counterproductive, waste power, disrupt system processes and degrade performance.

Manually futzing around closing apps, killing apps, installing RAM boosters, etc is simply incorrect operation of Android. Among other problems these apps cause, it means you're not taking advantage of Android's optimization capabilities, resulting in less than optimal performance and reduced battery life. Android can learn from your usage habits and optimize itself to suit. It also learns when lag occurs or other system glitches and adjusts to cope with them better. it runs better and better as you use it. But it has to be allowed the chance to do so. If an app intervenes and kills processes, the learning/optimization process is broken. The intervening app essentially causes incorrect information to be sent to Android, degrading performance.

The developers of Advanced task Killer and many, many other apps clearly show a fundamental lack of knowledge of, or disregard for, basic principles of Android operation.

This link should help you understand. It's a good explanation of how Android handles multitasking, processes, RAM, etc automatically for written by one of the authors of Android:
Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way