How to get old Google Wallet Back?

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm SOOO angry at Android, I'm half tempted to switch to iPhone!!! I just updated to the latest version of google wallet, which I did understand would move it's tap-n-pay to a separate app called Android Pay.

However, I had no idea that in order to make it work, it requires you to use the LOCK SCREEN which I do not use currently. If you don't setup the lock screen within 5 minutes of downloading the app, it removes the credit card assigned to Android Pay.

The old google wallet was secured with a PIN to open the app. With Android pay, it's running all the time which is why they require the phone to be locked when not in use.

I use my phone a million times a day. There's no way I'm going to use the lock screen just because of a stupid design decision by google.

I'm so angry, I'm half temped to get an iphone 6s Plus.

Yesterday, I enjoyed tap-n-pay on my LG G4. Now I don't have that feature if I want to use my phone the way I want to use my phone.

HOW CAN I UN-DO MY STUPID DECISION TO UPGRADE GOOGLE WALLET.

HELP!!

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
You could use smartlock to leave the phone unlocked when you are in certain areas or connected to trusted devices. To be honest I think everyone should have a lock on there phone, but that's just me.

If you want to roll back go into settings > app > Google wallet. You should be able to uninstall updates here. You can also get older APK's, usually Android Police have them.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, but android pay is a client-server system. At some point (if not already), if you are using an old client app, it won't let you make the purchase

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, but android pay is a client-server system. At some point (if not already), if you are using an old client app, it won't let you make the purchase
Yeah I'm in Australia so never had it work. Thankfully my bank has its own app that still works on tap and pay.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
*EDIT: NM.. Someone in the office heard me b!tching about it again and told me to uninstall & reinstall .. Did and it's working with my fingerprint lockscreen. I don't know why I didn't try that first... It would have saved me from whining about it for two days...*

I'm having a similar problem. I guess I can't use Android Pay or my discount cards anymore, because it doesn't work with my Note 4's fingerprint lockscreen! Surely Samsung's fingerprint lockscreen is more than secure enough...

Last edited:

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Android Pay's lock-screen requirement will go down in history as dumb as Windows 8!

Obviously, they didn't do a good job of focus-group listening to users!

pjeverly

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you on this. The mandatory lock screen is ridiculous. Even if you uninstall Android Pay, the screen still has a lock on it. I agree it's a nightmare.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I emailed them today about this. It's actually LESS secure since anyone who shares or otherwise uses the phone will also have access to Android Pay. They will either change back to the Wallet (only) PIN requirement or, fail miserably. This is the sort of nonsense expected from Apple - Google should know better.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Great point: Does the current version of android support guest profiles? If so, that's a terrible design from an android pay perspective.

If there's still only 1 profile per phone, then I guess if you lend your phone, it serves you right :)

But yes, you don't want ur kid walking up to NFC soda machines and going crazy :)

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Ugh I hate this new Android Pay app too! The lock screen security requirement was a disappointing surprise. I agree, I liked it better when just the app itself had a pin. Also annoying is that it doesn't accept LG's knock code as a valid security method.

Something else that's odd is that it has no problem with my credit union's debit card, but when I tried to add my credit card from the same place it said it wasn't allowed.

All in all I'm very unhappy with this change and miss the old Google Wallet app.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

You can uninstall the update if you had the "old"Wallet on your phone already before it updated to Android Pay as Teejai80 mentioned in post #2.
But as you mentioned it will eventually stop working as mentioned from Google within the old Wallet App,, that hasn't been updated or was rolled back to from Android Pay.

The old wallet still works when using "Tap n Pay".... for now. :)

Edit:
I have used both the last few days
199a3802c19cbb0e002faa912c5dc72a.jpg

Last edited:

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I opened a ticket with google wallet. I got this reply:

"Hi, Michael.

Thank you for your patience.

We are informed by our technical team that they are updating the app, based on several feedback for that matter. Rest assured that the app update will provide new feature based on customer's request and feedbacks.

If you have any more questions, please reply to this email or let my team call you. We're happy to help!

Thanks,

Eric
The Google Support Team"