Any recommendations for VOIP apps?

GeoKaplan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
My son will be spending some time in Europe this summer with a MyTouch 4G. To keep expenses under control, he'll have to activate data roaming shutoff and work exclusively through wifi connections for phone calls.

Does anyone have personal experience with clients for MT4G? Here is sort of what he'd be looking for:

? Video chat would be nice, but not essential. Voice connection is essential.

? A client with a desktop version would be very helpful, since some he'd be calling in the US would be on computers instead of cells.

? Something remotely robust, not the sort of app which works on this call, then crashes and won't work again until a full system reboot.

? 3G capability is irrelevant for his purposes, since he'll have his radio switched off to prevent any possibility of racking up phone roaming charges.

? Does the wifi calling app on the MT4G get the job done by itself? (though if the cell radio is turned off, the call is still deducted from minutes, right?)

I used Skype's client fairly successfully last summer in Skype-to-Skype calls to another child who was likewise in Europe for a few weeks, but I have read some really nasty, negative comments on the Android Market connected to the Skype client now available for download. I can see that many of those who comment are idiots with no appreciation for the complexity of the work being done and expect perfection with every call, but I don't know if Skype might have "updated" its app and made things more problematic than when I last used it last Summer.

This is when a FaceTime client for Android would come in really handy...

So does anyone have a personal experience (positive or negative) on the MT4G they can share? I figure he can try out a few options here in the US to see how well they work, but someone with personal experience in this area would be invaluable.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I would think that Skype would be the best option, but I'm not an expert in the area of VOIP clients.

I'm gonna move this to the Apps section so more people will see your request.

GeoKaplan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I would think that Skype would be the best option, but I'm not an expert in the area of VOIP clients.

I'm gonna move this to the Apps section so more people will see your request.

Thanks, I guess, but I was specifically interested in those with MT4G, since that is the very phone I'm seeking info on. That is why I posted it there. An app which works on a Nexus S or Thunderbolt might not work as well (or might work better) as on the MT4G.

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I guess, but I was specifically interested in those with MT4G, since that is the very phone I'm seeking info on. That is why I posted it there. An app which works on a Nexus S or Thunderbolt might not work as well (or might work better) as on the MT4G.

So, your questions is more about the capabilities of that phone rather than VOIP apps ;-). Asking in that phone's forum may be more useful.

I have had good experience with Skype (Wifi to phone) and with Google Voice (phone to phone, few cents per minute international) but not with said phone.

GeoKaplan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
So, your questions is more about the capabilities of that phone rather than VOIP apps ;-). Asking in that phone's forum may be more useful.

::sigh::

That is where the post originated before it was moved by mods to this location. Thus, my earlier reply.

That said, thanks for your input. I have had excellent success with GV, but it is for the US only and won't provide service via wifi in Europe. Skype worked well for me on my old MyTouch, but I read so many negative replies in Android Market on the current version that I didn't know if the app was degraded from a year ago.

I also had read some things about ooVoo, which has clients for Mac and Windows, along with Android. The video capability is less important than the quality of the phone call experience.

danperde

Not quite a noob
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I use Yahoo messenger to chat with with my parents in Europe. It works over 2g, 3g, wifi and it has real time face to face chat capabilities. A full charge can last me around 2.5h of continuous chat (most of the battery drain will come from your display). And as you know Yahoo mess has a PC client plus it's free.

GeoKaplan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I use Yahoo messenger to chat with with my parents in Europe. It works over 2g, 3g, wifi and it has real time face to face chat capabilities. A full charge can last me around 2.5h of continuous chat (most of the battery drain will come from your display). And as you know Yahoo mess has a PC client plus it's free.

Thank you for the reply--Do you know if the Mac client for Yahoo Messenger will work with the phone?

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
oovoo for sure

video chat across pc, mac android phone/tab, free.

you can even video chat with people don't have oovoo installed, they can video chat with you through web.