GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

jroids

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for replying. Did a fresh install, played with all the options, reboot, got nothing. However, the GV icon at the top left did switch from red to green but closes after. I'll try a couple more things and get back with you.

peterlester

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I can make calls
I can hear the phone ringing
But .. as soon as the other party answers there is no sound. They can't hear me and I can not hear them.

Used to work just fine.

Any suggestions?

Peter

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Those with HTC Touch Pro 2 and getting crashing. Does it crash when you open the app or when you try to make a call? Is it possible for you to email me a logcat with the crash? There's a free app catlog on the market that will let you collect the logcat.

Koui

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm running Groove IP (with latest update) on a LG Optimus V and an Asus Transformer. Voice quality on both devices is garbled on both sides with incoming and outgoing calls using 3G or WiFi. I've tried changing the advanced settings and the suggestions on this thread and the LG one to no avail. I'm not logged into Google chat or voice either.

Is there anything else that can be done? I have no problem with Google Voice call quality on my desktop, laptop, or netbook PCs.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm running Groove IP (with latest update) on a LG Optimus V and an Asus Transformer. Voice quality on both devices is garbled on both sides with incoming and outgoing calls using 3G or WiFi. I've tried changing the advanced settings and the suggestions on this thread and the LG one to no avail. I'm not logged into Google chat or voice either.

Is there anything else that can be done? I have no problem with Google Voice call quality on my desktop, laptop, or netbook PCs.

WiFi or 3G? What kind of connection? What troubleshooting features have you tried? Optimus shouldn't require any troubleshooting checkboxes.

Koui

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the speedy reply. WiFi is a 3mbps DSL connection through At&t and 3G is through Virgin Mobile. I've tried everything in troubleshooting..including reinstalling GrooveIP.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the speedy reply. WiFi is a 3mbps DSL connection through At&t and 3G is through Virgin Mobile. I've tried everything in troubleshooting..including reinstalling GrooveIP.

Hey, sorry about to enter a movie. Don't want you to think I'm ignoring you. Will try and respond when I get home. Are you using both with WiFi or both with 3G? Or one WiFi and one 3G? Just trying to get a feel for your setup.

Koui

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I've tried using both 3G and WiFi on both devices through both At&t and Virgin Mobile. The reason I bought the LG Optimums V was to use it as a WiFi hotspot for the Asus Transformer tablet and I could drop my At&t DSL service. Like I said, I can use Google Voice on my PCs through either provider with great voice quality but not with the GroVeIP app on either the phone or tablet.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I've tried using both 3G and WiFi on both devices through both At&t and Virgin Mobile. The reason I bought the LG Optimums V was to use it as a WiFi hotspot for the Asus Transformer tablet and I could drop my At&t DSL service. Like I said, I can use Google Voice on my PCs through either provider with great voice quality but not with the GroVeIP app on either the phone or tablet.

I'm not really sure. I know the app works on both the transformer and the optimus. Optimus V shouldn't require any of the troubleshooting options either. Is it garbled in both directions or just in one direction?

Koui

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Calls are garbled in both directions on both devices using both carriers. I'm stumped as well since Google Voice works so well with my PCs.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Calls are garbled in both directions on both devices using both carriers. I'm stumped as well since Google Voice works so well with my PCs.

Try running a speedtest on the device itself? Can use the speedtest.net app. If you get anything less than 90kbps up or down that could be the issue. Don't really think so since your dsl sounds fast, but can't think of anything else right now.

Koui

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Try running a speedtest on the device itself? Can use the speedtest.net app. If you get anything less than 90kbps up or down that could be the issue. Don't really think so since your dsl sounds fast, but can't think of anything else right now.
LG/Virgin - 968kbps down / 240kbps up
Transformer/At&t - 2503kbps down / 343kbps up

Thanks again for your help!

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
LG/Virgin - 968kbps down / 240kbps up
Transformer/At&t - 2503kbps down / 343kbps up

Thanks again for your help!

Hi,

Any task killers or memory managers? Also, check your battery profile to make sure data/wifi isn't going into a power saving state when your screen turns off.

Reactions: Koui

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I finally decided to try it and I'm rather pleased. Over wifi (Samsung Mesmerize), I notice a slight lag, but I kind of expect that with VOIP. No complaints at all about that. It does seem to be a little hit-or-miss on answering calls. The first few tests went through just fine. I'm really pleased with how everything sounds. After a couple of test calls, I tried to call again. GvIP rang, but when I clicked the Answer button, it kept ringing on the other end. I ended up turning off Accept Calls on Answer and it seems to work better.

One suggestion I would make is having some sort of status identification on the GrooveIP dialer. I like to keep my notification bar clean, but have the red/green dot displayed for now. If I turn off the notification, there isn't anything in the dialer to let me know if it is connected or not. Maybe changing the color of the call button (green = connected, grey = not connected)? A quick look at the dialer would let me know if I can place a call or not.

Last edited:

neoxaero

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to get this to work on my HTC Thunderbolt. Every time I try to make a call it says "please try again" and hangs up.

I'm currently connected via Wifi at my work. I've also tried using 3g as well with the same result.

I'm logged in to my google voice account
I have google voice Making Calls: Only use google voice for international calls
I've tried changing this to all calls with the same result.

GVIP is logged in with the same account as my google voice

Any assistance in troubleshooting this issue would be great!

snooper_ny

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Receiving calls

Hello,

When I receive calls I still get charged on my regular minutes. I am able to make phone calls without being charged.

Do I need to set something up so that I can also receive calls without using my minutes?
Do I need to only have people call me to the GV number?

Thank you for any help

Nef

Koui

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Any task killers or memory managers? Also, check your battery profile to make sure data/wifi isn't going into a power saving state when your screen turns off.

I set the time out on the LG screen to 30 minutes and it improved the call quality somewhat. My Transformer screen is set to never turn off already so there's no change there. Oh well, at least my LG is now useful for calls.

Your input is greatly appreciated and your app is something I'm going to recommended to my fellow tech geeks. :)

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I finally decided to try it and I'm rather pleased. Over wifi (Samsung Mesmerize), I notice a slight lag, but I kind of expect that with VOIP. No complaints at all about that. It does seem to be a little hit-or-miss on answering calls. The first few tests went through just fine. I'm really pleased with how everything sounds. After a couple of test calls, I tried to call again. GvIP rang, but when I clicked the Answer button, it kept ringing on the other end. I ended up turning off Accept Calls on Answer and it seems to work better.

One suggestion I would make is having some sort of status identification on the GrooveIP dialer. I like to keep my notification bar clean, but have the red/green dot displayed for now. If I turn off the notification, there isn't anything in the dialer to let me know if it is connected or not. Maybe changing the color of the call button (green = connected, grey = not connected)? A quick look at the dialer would let me know if I can place a call or not.

Pretty good suggestion. Will see if we can change the call button color.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

When I receive calls I still get charged on my regular minutes. I am able to make phone calls without being charged.

Do I need to set something up so that I can also receive calls without using my minutes?
Do I need to only have people call me to the GV number?

Thank you for any help

Nef

You need to have people call your GV number. AND you need to go into your google voice account and forward calls to google chat NOT your mobile number.