GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
has anyone tried the Talkatone App as an alernative? its free version works over WIFI and cellular.

i like it.

i believe the GrooveIP free version only allows WIFI calls?

Last edited:

phantompersona

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hello, i have an Htc amaze and recently bought and returned the groove ip ap. I tested the app with my home phone and cellphone and the from the home phones receiving end, i would get choppy sound. I then tested talkatone, and i got none of that choppiness. I still like your ap better because talkatone crashes alot...i had planned to replace with grooveip but the sound issue is not enough for me to warrant a purchase.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if you're looking for a response or not. But the most common issue with an HTC device is the WiFi going into a power saving state when the screen turns off. Talkatone keeps the screen on during a call. GrooVe IP will use the proximity sensor. You can enable Keep Screen Alive in GrooVe IP and that could improve the call quality if the issue was a power saving problem. Anyway if you decide to try the app again and run into issues please email us. We do have a 24 hour refund policy and can work with you to resolve issues if you contact us. Can't do as much on a forum.

buztabuzt

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi there - new member. Just got Samsung Galxy Y Duos with default settings. Android 2.3.6.
Excited for app, but having problems with the outgoing call audio. Have gotten the incoming voice to come in very clear with Audio Processing and Synchronize voice checked. Mic Gain and speaker volume slightly above defaults. Have tried various settings but every time the person on the other end cannot hear my voice. There is a clicking sound occasionally when I speak, but no call audio.
The peculiar thing is I know the mic works fine because I just made long distance calls with skype. However, regardless of mic source, buffer, etc I cannot get outgoing call audio. Any suggested settings, thoughts would be much appreciated!!!!!
Cheers.

FOUND SOLUTION: It was the mic source -had to change to VOIP or to voice call. the auto detect did not pick up my voice. Hope it helps someone!

Last edited:

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Is your device stock? If so I can change the default settings in the app for that device. Can you shoot me an email, there's some info I'd need off your device to make the change to the defaults.

Niko68

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
SIP is primarily employed for setting up and tearing down voice or video calls. However, in the process SIP needs to be adopted with other protocols since SIP is only involved in the signaling portion of a communication session. It assists in the connection of communication channels while the factual connection is created by SDP and RTP protocols. Therefore, voice and video stream communications in SIP applications are transmitted withReal-time Transport Protocol (RTP) while parameters like port numbers, protocols, codecs for these media streams are specified and negotiated with the use of Session Description Protocol (SDP).
If you're interested in VoIP technology and need more info about SIP then check Ozeki C# VoIP SDK - Session initiation protocol.
Bye,
Jarvin68

sunmercury

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I am using GrooveIP version 1.3.5 (paid version) with my ATT go phone (HUAWEI FUSION U8652) over Wifi. While it seems like GrooveIP is always connected (Green status LED on), but
many time I cannot call nor receive. Calling seems to work as I get the "calling screen", but no ringing sound & the other phone never ring. Receive call go straight to my ATT number. Whenever
it happens (very frequently), I have to exit GrooveIP, and get back in to get GrooveIP working normally again. I have tried "Partial Wake Lock", "High Perf Wifi Lock", and "Reconnect Interval", but nothing
help. Any idea would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mohammid Muza

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
sunmercury, I can help u. Go to ur phone settings, manage apps, clik on GrooveIP, and delete the cache. THis will set Groove back to std settings. Now try again. Then you may want to click the Groove setting to keep the screen ON when making/receiving a call. Also check the BASIC Echo cancelling in Groove. That is all you should need. Make sure ur phones SOUND is not turned off. In GV, yo MUST have CHAT enabled and NOT FORWARD ur GV # to your cell's mobile phone number. :cool:

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I am using GrooveIP version 1.3.5 (paid version) with my ATT go phone (HUAWEI FUSION U8652) over Wifi. While it seems like GrooveIP is always connected (Green status LED on), but
many time I cannot call nor receive. Calling seems to work as I get the "calling screen", but no ringing sound & the other phone never ring. Receive call go straight to my ATT number. Whenever
it happens (very frequently), I have to exit GrooveIP, and get back in to get GrooveIP working normally again. I have tried "Partial Wake Lock", "High Perf Wifi Lock", and "Reconnect Interval", but nothing
help. Any idea would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I would recommend updating to the latest version to see if you still have the issue before trying any settings changes. We did correct an issue like you describe a few releases ago.

ed w

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a stock Galaxy Note 2 from AT&T. I am using V.1.3.10 of Groove IP. Almost all of my phone calls have been terrible. I am getting frustrated as I want this work, but again yesterday on a call to my boss at work, she could not hear me very well. Very choppy audio. I have tried different settings but I can't seem to improve the quality. I even deleted the app and tried a competitor but the calls were no better. So I found this site and I re-downloaded Groove IP. Like I said, I want this to work.
My Wifi connection is great,sitting right next to my router: 20.96 Mbps down, 11.3 up and 29ms ping. (courtesy of Speedtest.net).
What do you suggest that I try and adjust first? Is there something that I need to definitely change in the stock settings? Anything on the phone?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a stock Galaxy Note 2 from AT&T. I am using V.1.3.10 of Groove IP. Almost all of my phone calls have been terrible. I am getting frustrated as I want this work, but again yesterday on a call to my boss at work, she could not hear me very well. Very choppy audio. I have tried different settings but I can't seem to improve the quality. I even deleted the app and tried a competitor but the calls were no better. So I found this site and I re-downloaded Groove IP. Like I said, I want this to work.
My Wifi connection is great,sitting right next to my router: 20.96 Mbps down, 11.3 up and 29ms ping. (courtesy of Speedtest.net).
What do you suggest that I try and adjust first? Is there something that I need to definitely change in the stock settings? Anything on the phone?

I'd recommend doing a clean install (uninstall the app, restart the device, then download and install the app) and enable Keep Screen On. Make sure your advanced android WiFi settings have WiFi set to stay connected always and WiFi optimization is off.

miguelco01

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a nexus 4 with paranoid ROM and recently i started experiencing problems with groove ip. Incoming calls does not ring until the call has almost gone to voice mail, i went into the settings and check partial wake lock and high perf wifi lock, restarted the phone, etc and it didn't help at all.

I decided to sign google hangouts off from my pc and the problem was fixed right away!!!

I really need to have google hanouts on my pc on all the time, how can i have this solved?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a nexus 4 with paranoid ROM and recently i started experiencing problems with groove ip. Incoming calls does not ring until the call has almost gone to voice mail, i went into the settings and check partial wake lock and high perf wifi lock, restarted the phone, etc and it didn't help at all.

I decided to sign google hangouts off from my pc and the problem was fixed right away!!!

I really need to have google hanouts on my pc on all the time, how can i have this solved?

I've never run into that before. When I use Google Hangouts I get the call on both my phone and the laptop at the same time. Does the issue come back if you sign into hangouts? Does it make a difference if your phone screen is on or off when the call comes in?

miguelco01

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've never run into that before. When I use Google Hangouts I get the call on both my phone and the laptop at the same time. Does the issue come back if you sign into hangouts? Does it make a difference if your phone screen is on or off when the call comes in?

Sorry, I forgot to mention it only happened when the phone screen is off.
edit: Actually I just sign back into hangouts on my pc and the problem seems to be gone :). Thanks for your suggestions I will keep you updated in case it happens again!

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I forgot to mention it only happened when the phone screen is off.
edit: Actually I just sign back into hangouts on my pc and the problem seems to be gone :). Thanks for your suggestions I will keep you updated in case it happens again!

If it's only happening when the phone screen is off it's likely a power saving state on the device. The lock settings in GrooVe IP should help with that as long as the rom you are using implements them.

andy o

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

If this happens only on WiFi, it is a known problem with the N4, in which notifications come delayed, sometimes by minutes, and which may have been fixed in 4.3, but oddly enough the AOSP JSS build only has the fixed activated, not the OTA build. See here Wifi network connectivity issues and a possible fix - xda-developers

When you turn on the screen sometimes, do you instantly get some notifications as if they just arrived?

Epiclectic

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I've used my Epic flashed to cricket for years at $45/month. To cut this bill, I've recently gone Full Voip: installed talkatone (sms & wifi calls) & groove IP (3g/4g calls) , then ported my number over to google voice on thursday night. Porting completed yesterday at 7pm. (FWIW, I'm using freedompop hotspot for 3g/4g connection & normal wifi at home).

I now realize that I should have installed and activated Gvoice on my phone before dropping cricket. (Since i'd been calling using my gvoice # for weeks, I didn't realize it was a separate app for android, needed to integrate sms).

Now when I try to install Gvoice app on my Epic, after singing in with my gmail acct, the next screen says "This phone's number" and a long blank. There's a button beneath to "add this phone", which then tries to send a normal sms to gvoice service , to verify my phone #. Since I've ported my # over, there's no carrier service to do this. So it fails.

All the google voice support says they "require a new number from new carrier " to forward to my gvoice #, which kinda defeats the purpose of the VOIP-only All-data system.

So, my question is, since I was able to flash my own phone to cricket, can I now reprogram my android so it shows my number instead of that long blank when activating gvoice? Or maybe program it to use an sms app as default, so it sends the text to verify my phone during that process? Is there any hope for the rebel alliance?

I realize this is a complex issue, and I'm hoping to only get advice from those who have tried VOIP-only thru google voice. While I appreciate others' advice, we could spend weeks trading obtuse advice and explanations with zero progress.

Holla if you've encountered this or know how to solve!

Thanks a bunch , you tech-gurus!

>_<

cirehawk

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I have an HTC EVO 4G LTE with G-Voice and GrooveIP. How do I get my phone to ring when someone calls my Google Voice number? To be clear, I want the call to come through GrooveIP, not forwarded (via G-Voice) to my cell phone number.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I have an HTC EVO 4G LTE with G-Voice and GrooveIP. How do I get my phone to ring when someone calls my Google Voice number? To be clear, I want the call to come through GrooveIP, not forwarded (via G-Voice) to my cell phone number.

To receive calls in GrooVe IP you need to forward calls to Google Chat

cirehawk

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I was doing that but it was ringing earlier in the day. It's working now, so maybe it took a bit to replicate. I have a another question though. I use G-Voice for work purposes. I give the number to customers and set it to ring both my desk and cell. For calling out to customers, there are 2 different PBX's. Some customers have, for example, numbers like (area code) 228-xxxx. Others have (area code) 982-xxxx numbers. Is there a way to setup GrooveIP so that when using my native dialer to call any number in those ranges, it will dial using GrooveIP?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty