GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

webwzrd

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'll give it a try. Two Google sign-ins complicates things a bit. The new Nexus S 4G with 2.3.4 has video chat built in, but it's through the GTalk app, so don't want to keep that shut down.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Version 1.1.1

- Fix a crash when clicking contacts with a ' in the name
- Call timer should start when the call is connected.
- Only say wifi is connected when in connected state, not connecting or obtaining ip
- Fix Incoming calls hung at ringing forever.
- Fix incoming call screen only appears for 2 seconds on certain phones
- In call dialpad show digits that have been pressed
- Make dialer screen editable so you can add digits to the front or middle
- Add a default area code config

Posted 1.1.2
Removed the WiFi connectivity change as that was causing people to lose registration

Last edited:

generous

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I came here just to say 'wow' and 'thank you' for this app. I really have no need for it, as I hardly chew up 10% of the minutes I pay verizon for, but i bought it just because this is incredible.

I do have a question. Is this app dependent on an external server? Or is is it truly stand-alone?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I came here just to say 'wow' and 'thank you' for this app. I really have no need for it, as I hardly chew up 10% of the minutes I pay verizon for, but i bought it just because this is incredible.

I do have a question. Is this app dependent on an external server? Or is is it truly stand-alone?

Hi! Thanks for purchasing. It doesn't just save your minutes, it also lets you call from places where you don't have service but have WiFi available.

There's no external server. It directly connects to Google Voice. If you like the app please give us a 5 star rating on the market! :)

Thanks!

spikbeatz

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't even have my phone yet(Dinc2 in the mail as we speak) and I am getting this app when I have phone in hand.

For us military members that get deployed a lot, we don't get 3g/4g so wifi is our only option but not everyone travels with their laptops so if you only bring a smartphone and DON'T want to pay a monthly subscription fee to Skype or apps like that, your app is a perfect fit if they also have a Google Voice account.

At $3.99, it's a very small price to pay for the ability to call home or to friends over wifi back in the states just to say hey or give any updates on how things are over here. That small window of calling home makes a humungous difference on our well being and our morale.

From a 7.5yr(and counting) veteran, I thank you sir.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't even have my phone yet(Dinc2 in the mail as we speak) and I am getting this app when I have phone in hand.

For us military members that get deployed a lot, we don't get 3g/4g so wifi is our only option but not everyone travels with their laptops so if you only bring a smartphone and DON'T want to pay a monthly subscription fee to Skype or apps like that, your app is a perfect fit if they also have a Google Voice account.

At $3.99, it's a very small price to pay for the ability to call home or to friends over wifi back in the states just to say hey or give any updates on how things are over here. That small window of calling home makes a humungous difference on our well being and our morale.

From a 7.5yr(and counting) veteran, I thank you sir.

Thank you for your service! I hope the app works well for you.

Reactions: spikbeatz

spikbeatz

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your service! I hope the app works well for you.

Oh...you are very welcome my good sir or ma'am.

I got the app. Haven't used it yet though(it's 1:45am back home, 8:45am here in Iraq) so I have no one to try it on. Tomorrow I will before I head into work.

I have one question though. I got this app from the Amazon app store and their version is 1.1.2(I think?) and I know there is a new version of that out. Amazon seems really slow to get the new version of apps up on their store. How can I get update to the newest version? If I try to get it from the Android Market, it will end up buying it instead of just updating it and since I have the app already, that would be silly of me to get it again.

Thanks. I'm really excited to give this a go tomorrow.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh...you are very welcome my good sir or ma'am.

I got the app. Haven't used it yet though(it's 1:45am back home, 8:45am here in Iraq) so I have no one to try it on. Tomorrow I will before I head into work.

I have one question though. I got this app from the Amazon app store and their version is 1.1.2(I think?) and I know there is a new version of that out. Amazon seems really slow to get the new version of apps up on their store. How can I get update to the newest version? If I try to get it from the Android Market, it will end up buying it instead of just updating it and since I have the app already, that would be silly of me to get it again.

Thanks. I'm really excited to give this a go tomorrow.

Ya amazon has 1.0.12. While android has 1.1.2. I've uploaded the new version, but amazon takes a while to approve it. The update will get there eventually. What I've told people is, I can't transfer licenses. But what I can do, is if you buy the app on the android market and send me receipts from android and amazon, I can refund the android purchase price. You'll have the app from both, but only pay once.

I'm really interested to see how it works for you. I was at Camp Liberty in 2008 (contractor), the wifi there wasn't all the greatest.

Oh, and I'm of the male persuasion...but no sir needed.

spikbeatz

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Ya amazon has 1.0.12. While android has 1.1.2. I've uploaded the new version, but amazon takes a while to approve it. The update will get there eventually. What I've told people is, I can't transfer licenses. But what I can do, is if you buy the app on the android market and send me receipts from android and amazon, I can refund the android purchase price. You'll have the app from both, but only pay once.

I'm really interested to see how it works for you. I was at Camp Liberty in 2008 (contractor), the wifi there wasn't all the greatest.

Oh, and I'm of the male persuasion...but no sir needed.

Well thanks for offering that solution. How would I send you the receipt? Nevermind. I can just forward you the email from Google.

I can report that my wife said the call was pretty clear. I left a VM on her end. She did say there was a lot of background noise but I blame that on my surroundings. I got a/c going, 15+ desktops online(web cafe in Iraq, you know) and 3 tv's right next to me. She said she had an echo on her end. Like her voice 1 second later. I'm not blaming the app completely on that one. The wifi here isn't spectacular.

But it works. It's free with a GV account and uses no minutes in the states and has great dev-to-end user support. What more can you ask for?

Thanks again.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Well thanks for offering that solution. How would I send you the receipt? Nevermind. I can just forward you the email from Google.

I can report that my wife said the call was pretty clear. I left a VM on her end. She did say there was a lot of background noise but I blame that on my surroundings. I got a/c going, 15+ desktops online(web cafe in Iraq, you know) and 3 tv's right next to me. She said she had an echo on her end. Like her voice 1 second later. I'm not blaming the app completely on that one. The wifi here isn't spectacular.

But it works. It's free with a GV account and uses no minutes in the states and has great dev-to-end user support. What more can you ask for?

Thanks again.

Ya, sorry I meant just forward me the emails from amazon and google.

You can likely improve the echo and background noise by reducing the microphone gain, as long as it's still loud enough for her to hear you. And/Or reducing the speaker volume, as long as you can still hear the person talking to you.

Another option is to enable both the incoming and outgoing audio processing in troubleshooting. And try it with just those enabled or with those and also the audio mode fallback enabled.

Sorry, there's a bunch of different options. Some make things better for certain phones. Not sure if any will help or hurt, but they're there if you want to experiment.

Are you on the MIT wireless? There were times I had problems sending email over that wireless.

Glad it worked out ok for you.

glennjamen

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I bought this for my wife, who is running it on an LG Optimus V. It works splendidly, except that when dialing out, it doesn't register when the call is picked up by the other line, it simply rings for a while and then hangs up. Meanwhile, on the other line, I can see that she is calling me, but when I answer I hear nothing.
Is this an issue that you have heard from other users? Any suggested solutions?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I bought this for my wife, who is running it on an LG Optimus V. It works splendidly, except that when dialing out, it doesn't register when the call is picked up by the other line, it simply rings for a while and then hangs up. Meanwhile, on the other line, I can see that she is calling me, but when I answer I hear nothing.
Is this an issue that you have heard from other users? Any suggested solutions?

That's a new one. What version of the app are you using? Does it happen with every number or just certain ones? Also, are you using WiFi or 3G?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Version 1.1.3

- Fix a potential freeze when exiting or connectivity changed
- Fix the call timer reseting when you hit home and then go back to the in-call screen
- Default area code config should work for numbers dialed with native dialer also
- Mute music when in a GrooVe IP call (2.2 and above)
- Mute system notifications when in a GrooVe IP call

spikbeatz

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Ya, sorry I meant just forward me the emails from amazon and google.

You can likely improve the echo and background noise by reducing the microphone gain, as long as it's still loud enough for her to hear you. And/Or reducing the speaker volume, as long as you can still hear the person talking to you.

Another option is to enable both the incoming and outgoing audio processing in troubleshooting. And try it with just those enabled or with those and also the audio mode fallback enabled.

Sorry, there's a bunch of different options. Some make things better for certain phones. Not sure if any will help or hurt, but they're there if you want to experiment.

Are you on the MIT wireless? There were times I had problems sending email over that wireless.

Glad it worked out ok for you.

I'll give those a shot.

No for MIT. They have SPAWAR here. It's alright. Only problem it's satellite broadband so it's fast enough you? I am lucky though I work night shift so most of the base are asleep so the networks aren't as busy as they are during the day. I can stream netflix, android movies, and hulu with a few hiccups. I even watched a CNET Buzz Out Load live stream last week. But like I said, it's hit or miss on the networks here.

I'll report back again with the new suggestions. Also, I may just get the app off of the android market place and send you those emails. So I can remove the amazon install and keep the android install so I can get the updates faster.

beeray

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
If I go to Europe and have an international data plan, Can I then use the app over 3G without using minutes or being charged? That is my main reason for wanting this app.

Beeray

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
If I go to Europe and have an international data plan, Can I then use the app over 3G without using minutes or being charged? That is my main reason for wanting this app.

Beeray

App should work. We have people outside the US using it successfully. Only issues you may run into are Google Voice blocking the country you are in. Don't think you'll run into that issue in Europe though.

JayMSY

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
On droid x here...bluetooth function doesn't seem to work with this app. The audio plays thru the mp3 input on car (kia soul) stereo (via bluetooth). With the regular droidx dialer that does play the the car stereo bluetooth.

Another thing I noticed is I can't hear thru the phone droidx ear speaker unless I have bluetooth on phone disabled.

Hope that made sense. LoL

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
On droid x here...bluetooth function doesn't seem to work with this app. The audio plays thru the mp3 input on car (kia soul) stereo (via bluetooth). With the regular droidx dialer that does play the the car stereo bluetooth.

Another thing I noticed is I can't hear thru the phone droidx ear speaker unless I have bluetooth on phone disabled.

Hope that made sense. LoL

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

We've had reports of bluetooth not functioning properly on certain phones with certain bluetooth devices. Looking into it to see if we can figure out why it works well for some people and not others. Luckily I have a droid x, so just have to get a variety of bluetooth devices and see what the issue may be.

Tobii1

Banned
Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
samsung intercept

speaker fix here for app , is this what the options do?
https://jira.skype.com/browse/JSA-81

Basically the call you guys are making to `AudioManager::setSpeakerphoneOn(false)` fails because you first need to set `AudioManager::setMode(MODE_IN_CALL)`. If you don't, setSpeakerphoneOn will just silently fail

call to AudioManager::setMode into PcmHost::_setVoiceRoute

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
speaker fix here for app , is this what the options do?
https://jira.skype.com/browse/JSA-81

Basically the call you guys are making to `AudioManager::setSpeakerphoneOn(false)` fails because you first need to set `AudioManager::setMode(MODE_IN_CALL)`. If you don't, setSpeakerphoneOn will just silently fail

call to AudioManager::setMode into PcmHost::_setVoiceRoute

Thanks! Will take a look. If you have an intercept you can enable incoming & outgoing audio processing. Enable the audio mode fallback. And in a call turn speakerphone on then off. If it works, I'll do it all programatically. Many phones don't like the MODE_IN_CALL, so might have to add another checkbox or something.

Last edited: