using Whatsapp with the old number but simcard changed

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi, I have one question regarding my whatsapp account, I was living in the middle east for some time and then i moved to another country, I got a new sim card and number but my whatsapp use the same old number that i was using in middle east as i didn't updated my whatsapp account number because it is added under many groups.
The cell number i was using in middle east is already assigned to some one else and for sure that person is using Whatsapp on that number .
My question is if some one send me a message on whatsapp will it be send to both the whatsapp account i.e. me and that person using my old number? because some time i receive messages on whatsapps from people i even dont know.
thanks in advance.

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
I would have thought messages would be sent to your old number so you need to make changes to your WhatsApp account to make sure that you are getting them

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Whatsapp is based on your phone number. It sounds like you got a new phone number. Have you checked on the Whatsapp page/FAQ for info on situations like this? I'm at work, I can't get to their page but I seem to recall SOMETHING there. You would really want to set up a new account with the new number (or transfer the account if they allow for it) so you don't have issues...

vdevil786

Sep 18, 2019
Visit site
i am receiving messages on the old whatsapp number , my question is will the other person who has been assigned my old number will also receive the messages sent to me

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
i am receiving messages on the old whatsapp number , my question is will the other person who has been assigned my old number will also receive the messages sent to me
Welcome to the forums. No, WhatsApp can be used only on a single device for number/account. Most likely they didn't activate WhatsApp on their phone. I'd recommend you to change your phone number following these steps.

https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/android/27585377/?category=5245246

Remember to make a backup just on case anything goes wrong.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
WhatsApp has to be verified with that Google drive account and phone number to access it(Android phones)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87