Why does Google Assistant sound terrible on Android Auto?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Pixel 3a and just installed a Kenwood DMX4707 head unit in my 2010 Altima. I use the conventional wired Android Auto setup. I've noticed that when I use Google Assistant, the response is highly "pixelated" and compressed. Just atrocious audio quality. But when I disconnect AA and run Assistant through my Bluetooth connection instead, it sounds perfect. I know that AA runs it's music stream through Bluetooth, can I set the Assistant to do the same thing? It's extremely annoying considering Siri doesn't have this issue. Yes, I have updated everything on the unit and on the phone. or is there some other fix that I'm not aware of? I've looked through several forums and I see the same problem popping up, but no solutions. Thanks!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's, unfortunately, how it is on most cars. That 'high quality' audio is just for media and navigation prompts. When it comes to Assistant prompts, it uses the same crappy audio that the 'stock' system uses (AKA when you try to use the car unit's own voice command system). CarPlay integrates differently with the car system, so that's why Siri sounds better. It's always been a top complaint about Android Auto, but one that, unfortunately, there is no setting for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty