Try android auto before you buy?

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Can you try out android auto before purchasing a head unit and getting it installed?

I went to Best Buy a few weeks ago and checked out the Pioneer Nex unit. I plugged in my phone (Note 4) and started the Android auto app, but nothing happened. The sales guy said it will only work in a car. Not sure if this is bs or not. I'm not about to drop $800+ on something I can't try out for myself first.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
The demo units at Best Buy do not have a micro bypass installed, so without that Android auto won't work.

With that said there are videos on the internet that show you pretty much everything that it does. At this point, it's a pretty short list.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
The demo units at Best Buy do not have a micro bypass installed, so without that Android auto won't work.

With that said there are videos on the internet that show you pretty much everything that it does. At this point, it's a pretty short list.

Oh that explains it. Thank you! I've watched every video I can find, but they don't really show the apps in depth since they are more focused on the overall system.

The videos usually feature the Google music app, but I'm also interested in how Spotify and pocket casts work. Especially with Spotify playlists and radio stations and pocket casts episode filters. Do you know of any videos that go into each app in depth?

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
The videos usually feature the Google music app, but I'm also interested in how Spotify and pocket casts work. Especially with Spotify playlists and radio stations and pocket casts episode filters. Do you know of any videos that go into each app in depth?

No... but they are all remarkably similar as the developer does not have the option to change up the interface the API's provide. I don't use spotify, but let me see if I can find some time to throw together a video showing what Pocket Casts looks like.

Stay tuned! (c;

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
No... but they are all remarkably similar as the developer does not have the option to change up the interface the API's provide. I don't use spotify, but let me see if I can find some time to throw together a video showing what Pocket Casts looks like.

Stay tuned! (c;
That'd be great! Thanks so much!

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much for doing that! The truncated lists don't bother me too much when it comes to the podcast filters, but music is a different story.

Does it keep the same sort order as set in the filter settings? I have different filter sorting depending on what I'm listening to. Btw, I'm working my way through Serial as well, almost done with the second episode.

mikereidis

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Can you try out android auto before purchasing a head unit and getting it installed?

I went to Best Buy a few weeks ago and checked out the Pioneer Nex unit. I plugged in my phone (Note 4) and started the Android auto app, but nothing happened. The sales guy said it will only work in a car. Not sure if this is bs or not. I'm not about to drop $800+ on something I can't try out for myself first.

I have my 4100 NEX set up for testing, not in a car.

All I had to do was ground the green wire to get it to work.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Oh that explains it. Thank you! I've watched every video I can find, but they don't really show the apps in depth since they are more focused on the overall system.

I'm starting to walk through apps individually — did Pocket Casts a couple weeks ago — but everything is generally going to look and feel the same, and that's by design.