Adjusting Android Auto volume for maps and music

DoppelGangerKnight

May 9, 2016
Visit site
I have a Pioneer 4100Nex, and I noticed that ever since the last update, that Google Play no longer pauses the music while the navigation is being relayed. Instead the music continues to play while the navigation is coming through, which makes it very difficult to hear at times. I also noticed that now the volume for the navigation is tied to the volume of the music, despite the notification volume being set at 30. For example before I could have the volume on the radio set low, and since the notification volume was set louder, the maps were loud but now the maps are only loud if the volume on the radio is loud. I tried reverting to an older version of Google Play but that did not help. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to at least get it, so that Google Play at least pauses the music while the navigation is coming through?

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I have a Pioneer 4100Nex, and I noticed that ever since the last update, that Google Play no longer pauses the music while the navigation is being relayed. Instead the music continues to play while the navigation is coming through, which makes it very difficult to hear at times. I also noticed that now the volume for the navigation is tied to the volume of the music, despite the notification volume being set at 30. For example before I could have the volume on the radio set low, and since the notification volume was set louder, the maps were loud but now the maps are only loud if the volume on the radio is loud. I tried reverting to an older version of Google Play but that did not help. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to at least get it, so that Google Play at least pauses the music while the navigation is coming through?
Unfortunately, I don't have a solution, but my oem Hyundai unit has had the navigation volume tied to the music volume since day one. It's very frustrating.

I've also noticed that the music has stopped pausing when reading out directions. Hopefully they'll do something about both of these.

I would contact @android on Twitter using #androidautohelp in your tweet. They will hopefully respond with an answer or at least acknowledgement that both of these things are problems.

fragilemn

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Now that you say that I guess I did notice the same thing on my Hyundai this weekend as well. It's a never ending comedy of errors over at Android Auto headquarters.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Now that you say that I guess I did notice the same thing on my Hyundai this weekend as well. It's a never ending comedy of errors over at Android Auto headquarters.
Yep. I didn't notice it until I had company in the car and tried to listen to music in the background while following navigation instructions and talk to my passenger. It couldn't do it all. The music had to either be so quiet I couldn't hear it or the navigation but I could talk to my passenger, or the music was blasting so I could hear both, but couldn't talk to my passenger very well.

I've actually contacted both Hyundai and Google about this already and Google says this tied volume is Hyundai's fault ("depends on the head unit"), and Hyundai said that's just the way it is.

I don't understand why the maps voice can't go through Bluetooth (phone already does. I have that option checked in the maps app, but it doesn't make a difference.) and music goes through usb.

fragilemn

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Yes thats true about Hyundai. They tied the music and navigation voice on the Audio channel. However, I can listen to the radio and have google maps going and then the radio has the audio channel and google maps voice has its own Android Auto channel and its volume can be independently controlled. Once you start using google music apps, then your maps and music are stuck together until you unconnect and reconnect the phone.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes thats true about Hyundai. They tied the music and navigation voice on the Audio channel. However, I can listen to the radio and have google maps going and then the radio has the audio channel and google maps voice has its own Android Auto channel and its volume can be independently controlled. Once you start using google music apps, then your maps and music are stuck together until you unconnect and reconnect the phone.
That's true, but I rarely listen to the radio. Notification and music volumes should be separate, not sure why Hyundai doesn't get that.

fragilemn

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I am holding out some hope. Hyundai says they are going to be releasing Apple CarPlay for the 2015-16 Sonatas sometime in the near-ish future. Going to be coupled with a free update to the map software for the head unit. MAYBE they will address some AA bugs while they are at it, mucking with the firmware.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I am holding out some hope. Hyundai says they are going to be releasing Apple CarPlay for the 2015-16 Sonatas sometime in the near-ish future. Going to be coupled with a free update to the map software for the head unit. MAYBE they will address some AA bugs while they are at it, mucking with the firmware.
Let's hope so! According to my chat with them though, they don't see this as a bug. Hopefully they will have changed their mind since then.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Hyundai does have separate volumes. One for phone calls, audio, and navigation. All separate. HOWEVER, the navigation audio channel only works for the factory installed navigation system. Google maps in Android auto for some reason gets lumped into the generic audio volume. Music doesn't pause but it does fade a bit in volume while maps is talking. I agree it's not much of a distinction. A work around that works is to go into navigation for Google maps on your phone and change its volume. You got three choices. Softer, normal and louder. Set it to louder. It won't solve the problem, but it at least improves it.

LarryBang

Jun 16, 2018
Visit site
Awesome! This worked on my 2016 Corvette! It's not intuitive but after you think about it. It just makes sense. When I turn the volume know while the map prompts are talking I can see a dark red volume and on top of a light red volume bar. I guess one color is for the radio volume and the other color is for the notifications volume.
Thanks for the advice Steven!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC