Why is the general UI in most android apps ugly?

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
So I just got an Epic 4G. After a day of digging around the marketplace and running a number of apps I have realised that the general UI (and UX for that matter) on most apps is, for the most part, poor.

My main gripe is that the standard android look n feel is, quite frankly, not very good. Its basic, kinda ugly, and lacks the 'wow' factor that I was used to from my Palm Pre. Also, is it just harder for devs to make decent UI's on android or something? The typical Webos app looks good, whereas the typical android app looks unfinished and bare. For eg. the Twiiter app for Android looks like it's on paper with poor color and lacks depth while the unofficial twitter app (tweed) looks really polished.

Images etc have a nasty blurry look to them. How hard is it to build resolution independent interfaces on android for that matter? Does it use a vector based system for drawing onscreen elements? Images in the browser also look poor like they are in 8bit color.

I just hope that the Android interface 'building tools (sdk etc)' improve so that devs can build better looking interfaces - as it stands at the minute I cant help but feel that Im running a device with an Operating system that came out 10 years ago. It kind of looks the same as Windows Mobile...not the UI itself but just the way the graphics look.

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I am returning it actually but was really disappointed with the OS. Well hype is basically why Android is selling because honestly the software needs lots of work. The email app, calendar, notifications, etc are all bad.

HumanMachine

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
You had to post in my newbie message too? You sir need some stability, try the iphone. It's a great phone, solid OS, great if not scathing community and works for what it's for.

Otherwise I once again, can't help but chuckle at the fact that you purchased a product without understanding whether or not it would be tailored to your needs.

My Droid X fits me as a consumer, almost flawlessly, It syncs with my work e-mail and serves as my media center when I need it to be that. Not to mention I have it laid out the way I like it, all my apps organized based on what I need them for. It sounds like you definitely didn't enjoy your experience.

Once again, That sounds like a personal problem.

BetaRoc

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
It all depends on whether you would choose a "Quad core computer that will only let you use the calculator function" or a "Upgradable Pentium II computer that will allow you to do whatever you want with the OS"

I agree, being a new Android convert, I have been a bit disappointed in the quality(both in function and in form) of the apps currently available. The potential is there, but just hasn't been utilized yet. But it is getting there. (just look at the new Angry Birds Beta)

I absolutely love the customization capabilities of my new phone though. Currently, these phones and this OS is for the geek at heart. Not to say a non-geek can't love it, they just won't get the true depth of what it can do.

The Android Marketplace is still in its infancy. I remember when the iPhone first launched, the quality of apps first available then were lackluster to say the least.

I don't think Google knows how to lose. They will make this be the dominant OS, come hell or high water. Mark it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non