Android Pay and Smart Lock Observations

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Got to think Android Pay is being laughed at compared to Apple Pay

Interestingly, in Silicon Valley (I live right near Apple), I haven't been seeing anyone tapping their iPhones to pay. I'm usually the only person tapping. Obviously, people are using Apple Pay, but it isn't as uber-prevalent as one might think.

Sturm Rider

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I just tried Android Pay at the same location twice today. One with Smart Lock on and a trusted device the second I removed the trusted device.

In the case with the trusted device I went to the cashier tapped the terminal and then had to enter my pattern, it then requested my pattern once more which I entered again then had to tap the terminal and it asked for the pattern yet again. On the third entry the process was complete and the transaction processed. Painful and definitely not efficient.

The second attempt I removed the trusted device entered my phone unlock pattern opened Android Pay went up to the terminal tapped it and the transaction processed immediately, no further patterns required or taps. It looks like Smart Lock does not work with Android Pay at this point. Sad, but true and I just purchased a new Moto KeyLink so I could use Smart Lock when Android Pay came out. Boy do I feel dumb.:(

Lesson learned wait till the product is out and try it first then proceed from there.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
When I used Smart Lock, I only had to enter my pattern once, right after I tapped (then had to tap again). While I would prefer (and expected) no pattern at all when using Smart Lock, I have never had to enter my pattern more than once.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I just did my first test with smart lock turned off. It was EXTREMELY fast. I unlocked my phone while the cashier was ringing me up. I placed my phone over the scanner and, *BLING*, it buzzed and the green check mark animation came up. Didn't have to enter my unlock code once after initially unlocking my phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I've never had a problem having to enter my PIN multiple times with Smart Lock on - only ever had to enter it once. I just would prefer I didn't have to enter it at all!

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I just did my first test with smart lock turned off. It was EXTREMELY fast. I unlocked my phone while the cashier was ringing me up. I placed my phone over the scanner and, *BLING*, it buzzed and the green check mark animation came up. Didn't have to enter my unlock code once after initially unlocking my phone.

But at the expense of having to enter the pattern or pin every time you use your phone. That is a lot of extra hassle to make it faster the occasional times you use Android Pay. Of course, for those who use lockscreens without Smart Lock all the time, it's perfect.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
That's not a hassle to me. I use a lock pattern anyway. When I'm at home, work, or at family or friends house I'll leave my phone sitting on a table or counter and be in another area. I'm not really worried about someone stealing my phone in these situations but I still don't want everybody to be able to just go thru my messages, pictures, emails, etc, if they pick up my phone. EVERYBODY I know is like that lol. I don't know WHO these people are walking around with no lockscreen at all.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
When I used Smart Lock, I only had to enter my pattern once, right after I tapped (then had to tap again). While I would prefer (and expected) no pattern at all when using Smart Lock, I have never had to enter my pattern more than once.

Yeah i'm saying without Smart Lock you only have to put in the pattern to initially unlock your phone. You don't have to tap the terminal twice.

JW888

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
This is the exact problem I am experiencing and it is a far cry from being as convenient as Google Wallet was. I'm not one of those, "Two apps?! Why?!?! Screw this, I'm getting an iPhone!" people, but it has made me wonder why they would elect for such a difficult process. Here is my comparison of the two processes.

Google Wallet
1. Open Wallet App
2. Unlock
3. Place on terminal to charge

Android Pay
1. Unlock phone
2. Place phone on terminal, Android app launches
3. Enter pin
4. Confirm pin
5. Confirm pin
6. Confirm pin again?
7. Place phone back on terminal to process payment

How did this become better than using one app for two purposes? I'm not irate over it, but entering my pin 3 or 4 times, then placing the phone back on the terminal seems unnecessary.

My experience.......

unlock phone(with pin)
don't need to open Android app
tap then the phone will launch Adroid pay
green check mark shows up
done
simple

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I just tried Android Pay at the same location twice today. One with Smart Lock on and a trusted device the second I removed the trusted device.

In the case with the trusted device I went to the cashier tapped the terminal and then had to enter my pattern, it then requested my pattern once more which I entered again then had to tap the terminal and it asked for the pattern yet again. On the third entry the process was complete and the transaction processed. Painful and definitely not efficient.

The second attempt I removed the trusted device entered my phone unlock pattern opened Android Pay went up to the terminal tapped it and the transaction processed immediately, no further patterns required or taps. It looks like Smart Lock does not work with Android Pay at this point. Sad, but true and I just purchased a new Moto KeyLink so I could use Smart Lock when Android Pay came out. Boy do I feel dumb.:(

Lesson learned wait till the product is out and try it first then proceed from there.

I think its designed to work like that with Smart Lock and trusted devices. In theory, someone could have your phone but still be in the trusted place or close enough to whatever device is set as a trusted device and attempt to use Android Pay. In that case the person who has your phone wouldn't need to enter your code to get to the home screen because of Smart Lock. Requiring the lock code when they try to pay ensures that the owner is actually doing it and not someone else using the phone while Smart Lock is actively keeping your phone unlocked.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
This is the exact problem I am experiencing and it is a far cry from being as convenient as Google Wallet was. I'm not one of those, "Two apps?! Why?!?! Screw this, I'm getting an iPhone!" people, but it has made me wonder why they would elect for such a difficult process. Here is my comparison of the two processes.

Google Wallet
1. Open Wallet App
2. Unlock
3. Place on terminal to charge

Android Pay
1. Unlock phone
2. Place phone on terminal, Android app launches
3. Enter pin
4. Confirm pin
5. Confirm pin
6. Confirm pin again?
7. Place phone back on terminal to process payment

How did this become better than using one app for two purposes? I'm not irate over it, but entering my pin 3 or 4 times, then placing the phone back on the terminal seems unnecessary.

That sounds like an issue with your setup, the card you're using, or the merchant. Even with Smart Lock active I only have to enter my code twice. With Smart Lock off the only time I have to enter the code is from my lock screen.

Last edited:

talz13

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
That sounds like an issue with your setup, the card you're using, or the merchant. Even with Smart Lock active I only have to enter my code twice. With Smart Lock off the only time I have to enter the code is from my lock screen.
I prefer the way it was in Wallet... If my PIN session has expired since the last time I used Wallet, it prompted me when I opened the app. Thus I would be able to unlock the wallet before attempting to pay with it. It's just cumbersome trying to use Android Pay with Smart Lock. Have to tap it once to get it to register that you need to unlock it, then unlock it and tap it again to actually pay.

dougfoglesong

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have used it 3 times. First with the a BofA Debit card "transferred" from Wallet, entered pin's 3x and unsuccessful, didn't know what pin to use, phone, wallet or atm pin. Then deleted the transferred card and re-enter the card manually. Next 2 times had AP open when attempting to pay and work perfectly without any additional pin(s).

intrepidpursuit

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 6 and a Moto 360 and I use SmartUnlock (it is fully half the reason to own a smartwatch is it not?).

With wallet I had to do the following:
Launch wallet
Enter unlock pin
Tap terminal

Now with pay it is always some variation of the following:
Tap terminal
Once the app has opened (Nexus 6 is so slow) I enter an unlock pattern.
Meanwhile the transaction has failed and the cashier has to reset it.
Tap terminal again
Hold the phone there for several seconds and wait to see if I have to go back to step 2 (about half the time).
Then see the checkmark.

Android pay takes significantly longer than just using a credit card. With wallet people thought it was cool, with android pay people just say, "is that going to work?" as they watch me fiddle with it. It is so frustrating. We were ahead of Apple Pay by 2 years and now we are trying to copy them and have fallen behind. They can pay with their watch and we can't pay if we have a watch. I understand things being buggy when they are new, but breaking stuff that has worked for years makes me really wish there was a better option.

min_is_3

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I finally just used Android pay at McDonalds. I have smart lock with my moto 360 so I swiped to unlock my phone, tapped the terminal, saw the Android pay symbol pop up on the terminal, I put in my code on phone, tapped the terminal again, the check mark pops up.

Of course, my bank card attached to Android pay is not officially supported so I don't know if that has any bearing on the experience but not the smoothest process but I'm just happy it worked and didn't have to pull out my Google Wallet card instead.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4

meskin84

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 6 and a Moto 360 and I use SmartUnlock (it is fully half the reason to own a smartwatch is it not?).

With wallet I had to do the following:
Launch wallet
Enter unlock pin
Tap terminal

Now with pay it is always some variation of the following:
Tap terminal
Once the app has opened (Nexus 6 is so slow) I enter an unlock pattern.
Meanwhile the transaction has failed and the cashier has to reset it.
Tap terminal again
Hold the phone there for several seconds and wait to see if I have to go back to step 2 (about half the time).
Then see the checkmark.

Android pay takes significantly longer than just using a credit card. With wallet people thought it was cool, with android pay people just say, "is that going to work?" as they watch me fiddle with it. It is so frustrating. We were ahead of Apple Pay by 2 years and now we are trying to copy them and have fallen behind. They can pay with their watch and we can't pay if we have a watch. I understand things being buggy when they are new, but breaking stuff that has worked for years makes me really wish there was a better option.

HAHA, I get the same reaction, but they usually see me hold it up to the terminal, then it launches for my passcode, and they say, "It didn't take it!" as if they're afraid I am going to run out without paying (or getting my merch?) and I have to reply, "Yeah, I know, I HAVE to enter my pin...but it won't prompt me to enter my pin until I hold it up to the terminal...then I have to hold it up again". The process isn't really useful as all in its current state.

jreuschl

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately I think the best thing to do for now is if you have a watch that you are using Smart Lock with, to just turn off the watch or turn off bluetooth so that you have to enter a PIN to use the phone and after the transaction turn it back on.

Or.. just use your CC :/

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately I think the best thing to do for now is if you have a watch that you are using Smart Lock with, to just turn off the watch or turn off bluetooth so that you have to enter a PIN to use the phone and after the transaction turn it back on.

Or.. just use your CC :/

Yup. When I'm about to use Android Pay I just go in settings and turn the Smart Lock toggle off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa