Pixel XL - Notifications and media no sound with Android 9 update

HalfzeRO

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
After updating to Android 9 I lost all sound for notifications and media with my Pixel XL, the only time I get sound is with bluetooth or plugging in my headphones. I did a factory rest on phone and I got sound back for notifications and media, but that only last about 30 min and then I'm back to no sound. So now after a couple days the notification and media sounds come and go at random.

momsstuff

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Same thing here, with my Pixel 2 XL, but I still had notifcatian sounds, but the phone did not ring. I contacted Google support. The tech asked if it happened after I went to Andoid P. After about a half hour, he asked me to do a factory reset. I kind of chicked out. I looked at what apps I just updated. I ended up deleting True Caller. Then I shut the phone off and turned back on. My phone rings now. I will keep an eye on it and see what happens.

HalfzeRO

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
Booting into safe mode didn't bring sound back for notifications and media. After doing some research and posting on https://groups.google.com/a/googlep...892-bfa5-b883c70d2d69@googleproductforums.com
The only solution that worked was to factory reset and not do a data recovery. That worked for a bit as I was able to get my sound back for notifications and media, but it was a short fixed, then back to square one with no sound.
I thought maybe being in the beta then updating to the final release Android 9 may have caused a issue with the no sound, so flashed my pixel Xl with the latest stock ROM (Android 9) and the problem still persist. So in the end I just went back to Android 8.1 and now I have no issues.

gquiring

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I finally decided to sit down today and figure this issue out. This is an old bug, I had the exact same problem with Marshmallow and my Nexus 6P. It is related to Do Not Disturb.

So here's what I did to fix it. I sent a text to my phone and no sound came. Rebooted, sent another text and it made a sound. Sent another text, no sound, several more texts - no sound.

I remember making a monthly meeting in my calendar that would DND my phone for an hour during the meeting. But I had removed the DND thinking that was the issue. So I decided to delete the monthly meeting from my calendar. Guess what??? Sent a text and I got a sound!!! Sent another one, got a sound, sent a few more and now it works perfectly.

So somehow there is kink with Google Calendar and DND's. It could be with DND's that were created with prior versions of Android.

I just had a feeling this was the issue after reading how many would factory reset their phone and the bug would come back. Once it brings in your calendar data it's hosed. I hope this helps. It was a really annoying bug.

Alberta Blue

Apr 6, 2019
Visit site
Had the same issue, and fixed it by doing the following.

Settings-->Connections-->Bluetooth

Click the 3 dots top right, then choose advanced.

Enable dual audio. Disable Media Volume Sync.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo