01-17-2019 04:27 PM
165 ... 567
tools
    FWIW I contacted google who said they didn't know of any issues with notifications. They recommended clearing cache and didn't mention anything about battery saving options etc.
    It's amazing to me that Google does NOT even know this problem, which has been around and discussed for a long time. My Calendar notification still does not come through even with Doze disabled through ADB. They always give you the same solution for all problems: clear cache. Of course, that does not work for either of my problems.
    12-10-2018 11:56 PM
    It's amazing to me that Google does NOT even know this problem
    Maybe a specific Google employee may not know about it or may say they don't know about it, but I am pretty sure some at Google do. First, many Google employees would have the same issue on their personal phones. Second, as you say, it so widely discussed and complained about it that Google would have to have a company wide policy to avoid any tech sites or social media to not know.

That brings up an interesting question. I know the issue has been posted and discussed on Reddit many times. But has anyone seen it on Twitter or Facebook? I don't really use either so don't know myself. It should definitely be all over those two if it is not already. Social media is where most people, (except me I guess), get their information.
    12-12-2018 01:46 PM
    I forgot to mention one other significant symptom or issue related to this: I think when my phone is in this state, it will not automatically backup photos to Google photo. I know it seems odd because if I snap a picture then the phone is active and on wifi. But I have other apps that I backup to Google Photos as well. I just recall going into Photos on my laptop and not seeing recent pics, then I had to wake up my phone, go into Photos, and it would then start backing up. Since I've applied this adb command I have not experienced this.
    12-14-2018 08:00 AM
    I have the same issue with Pixel 3 and Android 9 Pie. By the way, I had this problem on Google Nexus 5x and Android 6,7,8 and it is simply ridiculous that Google has not fix it yet. I suppose Pixel 3 will be the last android phone I own, push notifications work perfectly well on my iPhones 4s (iOS 7-9) and 6 (iOS 8-11).

Fortunately, a command
    adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable
    fixed this, but it is not a convenient solution, because it requires a PC to run it.
    Is it possible to run something like this using an android phone only?
    12-15-2018 04:49 AM
    Fortunately, a command
    fixed this, but it is not a convenient solution, because it requires a PC to run it.
    No.
    12-15-2018 04:51 AM
    If anyone is having this problem, turn off battery optimization for the offending app. I had to tinker with this for a while.
    12-17-2018 12:57 PM
    If anyone is having this problem, turn off battery optimization for the offending app. I had to tinker with this for a while.
    No that does not make any difference for this particular problem with Doze.
    pigskins87 likes this.
    12-18-2018 03:21 AM
    Fortunately, a command
    My LG V30 is rooted and running Magisk and I am able to use the Terminal Emulator application to run this command. Basically once the Terminal Emulator starts you will see and type:

:/ $ su
    :/ # dumpsys deviceidle disable
    :/ # exit
    :/ $ exit

After you run the "dumpsys deviceidle disable" command you can run "dumpsys deviceidle" by itself and look about 3/4 of the way down in the results. You are looking for "mLightEnabled=false mDeepEnabled=false" to verify this worked. If you run "dumpsys deviceidle" before you run the disable step you'll see that both (at least on my phone) are set to true.

The su command is what requires the root level permission.

If your phone is rooted already this will allow you to disable doze without hooking it up to a PC. It's still really inconvenient but just not quite as inconvenient if you are not near a PC.

I'm sure there is a way to automate this, but I haven't found it yet. If anyone else has any ideas please let us all know.

:-)
    12-20-2018 12:57 PM
    I'm sorry you guys are still having so many problems getting notifications...... I would most likely move to another phone if I had to run those commands through a pc on every reboot... I reboot daily. That's one reason I leave my phones on default settings and don't use third party apps...... my phones seem much less problematic that way. My pixel is working great on Pie so far (fingers crossed).

Overall though I'm not a big fan of updates.....if something's running great, I won't update it unless there's a new feature I know I'll use. And that almost never happens.

I am getting irritated by all the companies that are now taking away our ability to decide whether we want auto-updating turned on or not. Roku just screwed my box up with a forced update that I can't turn off. Microsoft just screwed my wife's pc up with a forced update I can no longer turn off. And I was surprised Google forces auto updates on us.... making us enable developer options to turn them off. All my previous Android phones asked me whether I wanted to update to a new os or not.

I'm not liking having my choices taken away at all
    And that is definitely going to have some effect on my purchasing decisions...... I won't be owning any more Roku's or windows powered devices for sure ;-)
    12-26-2018 08:05 AM

I'm sure there is a way to automate this, but I haven't found it yet. If anyone else has any ideas please let us all know.

:-)
    Hi,

i manage to get this automated with tasker. I created an event on "Device Boot" and a task "Run shell" as root with the command "dumpsys deviceidle disable" (without the "") And after reboot I checked in the console with "dumpsys deviceidle" and both of them where false.

Thanks for this great thread, I hope this helps others as well. Without it I still would wait for my email notifications.

Happy New Year to all of you!
    12-30-2018 08:48 AM
    same problem with nokia phone.and i think it was related to battery optimization option called adaptive battery that limits battery for frequently used apps notifecation may delayed for those apps.
    12-31-2018 12:07 AM
    I just want to thank everyone contributing to the solution, since Dozer definitely appears to be the culprit here.
    I have a 1 week old MI A2 (Android One), upgraded to Pie at the start and I can safely say I am experiencing the same issue.
    I will try this "adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable" but I would like to do a personal morning/night battery usage statistics to see if the drain is affected in any way - confirmation bias is a helluva thing

And now one huge rant to all the app developers:
    There is a crystal clear line on the link saying:
    If your users must see a notification right away, make sure to use an FCM high priority message.
    So why are the comm app developers (e.g. Whatsapp), especially GMail, not using FCM high prio?
    /endrant
    01-09-2019 06:36 PM
    And now one huge rant to all the app developers:
    There is a crystal clear line on the link saying:
    If your users must see a notification right away, make sure to use an FCM high priority message.
    So why are the comm app developers (e.g. Whatsapp), especially GMail, not using FCM high prio?
    /endrant
    Thanks for the link. I will try it with my own app and see how it works with priority high for all notifications.
    01-11-2019 02:41 PM
    Phone reboot after the January update. Decided to see if the issue was still there.... Yep.
    Had to disable Doze again - real time notifications are back.
    Can't believe this is still an issue.
    01-13-2019 02:18 PM
    Since I've started using this fix/workaround I've had 2 instances where my Pixel 2 XL's ambient display or whatever it is called that always displays the current time, date, temp on the idle screen has shut off. A reboot corrects it but then I have to re-apply the adb commands of course.
    01-17-2019 04:27 PM
165 ... 567