Notifications Delayed or Stopped?

Al Borland

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
Not getting any notifications at all until the phone is woken up is a bug though, either in the current version of pie itself, or some kind of interaction between certain phones and there configurations with pie.

This is not unique to Pie. It is doing it in Nougat and Oreo. It was not doing it until an update of a system file was pushed through to my phone in late August. Prior to that, my phone was perfect. Samsung S8, Android 7.0, security patch Aug 1, 2017.

Lots of threads about delayed notifications on other manufacturer devices as well.

Once I applied device idle my phone is back to the way it was before the August push of Google or Samsung's flawed code. My battery performance is noticeably improved over what it was from the day I opened the box 8 months ago. Doze may benefit some, but certainly not my device and how I use it. I am a month in to using this fix and it has allowed me to defer my decision to abandon android until my device hits end of useful life.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I get text messages instantly regardless of how long my phones been idle

Then, if that article is correct as to how Doze works, then Doze must not be working as intended on your phone. I would just be happy about that though!....

Turning off Doze was the fix for me and many others. Also like Al said, it has improved my battery performance too which seems counterintuitive, but I'm happy.

DustBow

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, it's all over the board it seems... Texts have always continued to work for me - I use Textra fwiw.

The Gmail app has been the issue for my phone.
BlueMail has worked for me in real time since I downloaded it after discovering the issue.

I haven't tried Inbox, it's being shut down soon anyway.

I use Nova Prime as my launcher, but still had the issue when tested it on the Pixel launcher

Last edited:

Maurice-86

Oct 17, 2018
Visit site
I've been searching about this notification delay issue and it has been going on for years! When will Google solve this issue for once? The Google Pixel 2 XL is my first Android and I was loving it. But this issue is just unacceptable! It is driving me crazy! We should try to reach out for YouTube channels like MKBHD, Unbox Therapy, This is Tech Today, Front Page Tech, Dave Lee, to see if any of them can help us reach Google on this issue! How about we mention all of them in our tweets to see if it works somehow?

[edit]
Here it is: https://twitter.com/maumaga/status/1052396881014226944
Please like and retweet it so we can reach them out! Let's help each other!

DustBow

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
OK - replacement Pixel 2 arrived. the USB C port works, the notifications still do not....

I tried doing the ADB Disable listed in this thread but I can't get it to work....when I open up the Power Shell and enter "adb devices" I just get an error message.

Any help out there for this? Phone is connected, USB Debugging is on, Data Transfer is on....but nothing happens

EDIT: just had to add "./" before all the commands listed in this thread/linked article

Looking forward to testing this tomorrow - thanks again for the help

Last edited:

DustBow

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
For those that are disabling Doze via ADB, what do you do w/ the Battery Optimization and Adaptive Battery settings? Does disabling Doze affect these options in any way? Does this essentially remove the "optimization option" from all apps b/c the phone will never doze?

I assume "adaptive battery" should still work in the background since that's supposed to cut down usage by apps that you don't use often.

Just trying to figure out the optimum settings for both real time notifications and battery usage.

thanks

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
For those that are disabling Doze via ADB, what do you do w/ the Battery Optimization and Adaptive Battery settings? Does disabling Doze affect these options in any way? Does this essentially remove the "optimization option" from all apps b/c the phone will never doze?
thanks

Good point, but I did not even think of this or look at it. I had already turned off as much of that as possible while trying to fix the delayed notifications before I learned how to turn off Doze and never truned anything back on. I don't worry about it now because, as I posted above, my battery life is great. The same at least as before turning off Doze.

wvigotty

Aug 5, 2018
Visit site
Hi guy's. I got an update from T-Mobile yesterday for my Samsung Galaxy S9+. I don't know if it's a Samsung or Google update since I am new to Android, but it did not fix this problem with notifications. See screenshot. Just thought I would give a heads up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181023-164542_Software update.jpg
    Screenshot_20181023-164542_Software update.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 11

wvigotty

Aug 5, 2018
Visit site
I am also using the adb command to disable doze and am glad that it works. However, I am not happy that I just spent $850.00 plus tax and cases on a phone in which the operating system obviously has a flaw. I am seriously considering selling it on ebay and getting an iPhone.

DustBow

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't blame you one bit....2018 - real time email should not be something we actually have to worry about.

Reminds of the 15 minute refresh / send/ receive of these days:
BlackBerry-6210.jpg

ndavis82

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
I have also a Pixel 2 and it affected many apps for me. I could also test/verify it with my own app by sending notifications through google firebase cloud messaging.

With "adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable" I now receive all gmails and notifications from my own app instantly all the time.

Same here. Last night was the last straw for me. Notifications were delayed for over an hour. After Googling this thread and doing this adb trick I now receive notifications from all apps instantly as they come through. I also haven't noticed any negligible difference in battery life either. Doze mode is a sham.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Same here. Last night was the last straw for me. Notifications were delayed for over an hour. After Googling this thread and doing this adb trick I now receive notifications from all apps instantly as they come through. I also haven't noticed any negligible difference in battery life either. Doze mode is a sham.

Actually the way doze worked on marshmallow was perfect, it only went into doze mode after sitting still with the screen off for a certain amount of time, and didn't affect background apps ability to send out notifications at all.... just gave incredible battery life.

Once they said nougat and up was going to get a more aggressive "doze on the go" feature which would restrict background apps even while the phone was in action I knew we were in trouble. And now 2 os versions later here we are :-( And Pie's ridiculously aggressive doze mode is also causing issues with lots of third party apps.

Sometimes more isn't better.... it's just too much :-[

yiddo13

Sep 6, 2018
Visit site
I have a note 9. I've tried everything to get notifications to come on time. This includes using ADB debug to turn off doze mode, however it still doesn't work for me. Wifi notifications seem ok (sometimes a bit funny but 90% fine), when on mobile data I get nothing through once the phone is locked. Even when I unlock it, often I have to open the app in question to see the notification. Anyone got any ideas why the adb command isn't doing the business for me?

Edit: Text messages always arrive on time, this only applies to internet based notifications.

Last edited:

Al Borland

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
I have a note 9. I've tried everything to get notifications to come on time. This includes using ADB debug to turn off doze mode, however it still doesn't work for me. Wifi notifications seem ok (sometimes a bit funny but 90% fine), when on mobile data I get nothing through once the phone is locked. Even when I unlock it, often I have to open the app in question to see the notification. Anyone got any ideas why the adb command isn't doing the business for me?

Edit: Text messages always arrive on time, this only applies to internet based notifications.

When you did the adb command, did it acknowledge back that both modes of device idle were disabled?

If not, then you didn’t do the adb connection steps correctly.

If you did get the acknowledgement, you didn’t restart the device, correct?

yiddo13

Sep 6, 2018
Visit site
I got the acknowledgement to say they were both disabled. I actually think this is something to do with my mobile network. I've tried a SIM card from another network for a prolonged period and it works so much better. Notifications come on time. Not sure why the mobile network provider should affect it but in my case it seems to have a big bearing.

DustBow

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
BlueMail worked in real time for me.
I haven't been using it for Gmail since turning off Doze, but that's what got me through the couple weeks before the ADB fix was posted here

joeydroid

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Thank You for the ADB fix !!!! I have a Samsung S7 with Oreo and I was not getting notifications until I woke the phone up. Only affecting 2 apps, NHL.TV and Yahoo Mail. Not using Gmail. Works perfect with this fix. Hoping for a permanent fix.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej