Android TV Box AV port reset procedure PAL to NTSC

Chevisn7

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
How to get the AV port to work on a Android TV box. Problem. No picture at all. Possible cure. Wrong cable is being used. There are several AV cables on the market. They all look the same but are wired differently. The proper cable for most boxes is listed at the end of this post. Problem. Black and White picture that rolls very fast. Cure. Box is set to PAL and needs to be reset to NTSC. Follow this procedure to reset your box to NTSC.

It is a common problem to find that most Android TV boxes are set to the PAL setting when they leave the factory. They have to be manually reset to display the NTSC signal used in the USA. You have to ask yourself why they have not been reset if they are going to be sold in the USA. The AV port needs to be set to NTSC 480 CVBS.

Part of the problem is that although the majority of the boxes do recognize that the AV cable is being used. They do not recognize what TV signal is needed. So they have to be manually reset.

The problem is that because the port is set to PAL, when you plug in the AV cord to an older TV here in the USA, the picture is in Black and White and rolls extremely fast. It rolls so fast you can not see what is on the screen.

To correct this issue and change the settings from PAL 576 CVBS to NTSC 480 CVBS you have to go into the Display Settings while you are totally blind to what is on the TV screen.

This is how to manually reset the AV port.

First you have to connect the box to a TV that can use the HDMI cable. Start the box and let the box boot to the Home Screen. The KODI icon should be highlighted but if it is not. Select the KODI icon to highlight it. But do not open KODI.

Now you need to write down the number of clicks and the direct of the clicks it takes to get you into the Display Settings area. Write down this information and verify it several times to be sure there are no mistakes.

You will also need to check to see if clicking the back or up arrow will take you out of the Display Settings area. If it does you will need to be careful about how many clicks you perform should you have to reverse the procedure. If the up and down arrow does not take you out of the Display Settings Area you are good to go.

In the Display Settings area you will see settings like 1080p, 720p and so on. Note these settings are for a HDMI equipped TVs they are not the settings you need for the older TVs that require PAL or NTSC display settings. The settings in this area will change to the required settings when you plug in the AV cable and boot the device . Note to Manufacturer: The AV settings should be listed in this area.

For my box and the KODI program installed on it the clicks are as follows. Others may be different depending on the program installed but the procedure will be the same.

From the highlighted Kodi Icon using the arrow buttons: Click Right, Right, Right, Right, Enter, Right, Enter. This will put you into the Display Settings area. Once you have verified your procedure and you are absolutely sure it is correct. Uunplug the box and remove the HDMI cable.

First and most important. Make sure you are using the correct cable for your box. There are several different AV cables on the market that all look the same but the pin wiring is different on each of them. The AV connector cable has to match the box you are using. If you find that you do not have any picture. Chances are that you are using the wrong cable. As long as you have a picture, no matter what the current quality of the picture is, the cable should work.

The correct cable for most of the Android box’s are wired as follows.

3.5mm 4pin connector to RCA jacks.

The Tip is Red Voice
The 1st Ring is White Voice
The 2nd Ring is Yellow Video
The 3rd Ring at the base of the connector is Ground.

Now follow this procedure to connect the box.
1.) Plug the AV cable into the box.
2.) Plug the RCA jacks into your TV.
3.) Turn the TV on and set the Input selector to use the RCA jacks you have the AV cord plugged into. Some TVs have multiple RCA jacks and Component jacks. Be sure the correct jacks are selected.
4.) Lastly plug in the Android Box and turn it on. Let the Box boot up.

Once the box boots up and if you have connected the box as I have described. You should have a horrible looking Black and White picture that rolls very badly. But if you look hard you should be able to distinguish something that looks like the home screen for Kodi in Black and White. Now follow the clicks and directions of the clicks you wrote down that take you to the Display Settings area.

At this point the remaining procedure is blind guess work. You will not be able to see what you are doing. Using your remotes up and down arrow buttons. First try to click up one time and push enter. If that does not work click down and push enter. Keep trying this procedure until you find the location of the 480 CVBS setting. When you reach the proper setting the picture will freez and reset. If it asks you to confirm your setting click yes. This procedure may take you a couple of tries until you find the location of the correct setting and click enter.

Be careful if you have found that several up clicks will take you out of the Display Settings area. If this happens you may have to go back to the home screen and start over. If you have found that no matter how many times you click you remain in the Display Settings area. Keep clicking and pushing enter until the picture resets. I have done this on 4 different Kodi boxes now and it worked on all of them.

If you did the procedure correctly the rolling should stop and the picture will reset. The correct setting should be 480 CVBS This is the setting that is needed for NTSC here in the USA.. Note: The picture will not be real good but it will be in color and good enough for you to use the box on your older TV. If you do not like the quality of the picture or how difficult it is to read the writing you may need to use a HDMI to RCA or HDMI to Componant converter to obtain a good picture.

If you have a TV set with 480i, 720i, or 1080i, picture quality. When you play a movie the picture will be displayed in the proper format and look good.

End

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and thanks for the useful info! I moved this from General Help to the Android TV forum, for more specificity.

wgraz

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much for this. Your instructions are well detailed. I have a question please. Are you sure the PAL / NTSC settings are directly in Display Settings? I thought it would be one deeper in Screen Resolution settings where you see HDMI connected settings like 1080p-60Hz, 720p-60Hz, 1080p-24Hz, ect. Instead in it's place, when the AV cable is connected, you will only see 576cvbs or 480cvbs. Is that correct? My box is the Sunvell T95Z Plus. Thanks again.

EDIT: For me, once I enter into the settings(I have a different launcher), it's Right, Enter(display settings), Enter(screen resolution settings), Up, Enter(480cvbs) (click Yes to confirm if it asks) and then 3 clicks Back out to Home. I haven't done it yet. I need to get the cable. Is your Settings menu similar to this video?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K4fbzve52s

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89