Smart watch that acts a hands-free device for phone calls

deadshot42

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking at making the plunge into the land of smart watches, but what I'd really want it for is the ability to ditch my Bluetooth earpiece and just use the watch. I have a Moto X Pure so Apple (and I think the old Samsungs) are out. Not interested in any stand-alone watches, my phone bill is big enough as is, just want something I can link. I'd mainly need it while driving as otherwise I can hold my phone.

From what I can find it looks like the LG Urbane, Huawei, and ZenWatch 2 have this capability, but wanted to make sure. I'm also interested in seeing what people with those watches think of the sound quality (both sending and receiving) for calls over those watches. Don't really care about other features like fitness, etc. I'd love a camera for video messages but I know other than the rumored Apple upgrade those have gone by the wayside.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
For use in your car I would invest the money in a Bluetooth stereo and forget the watch. I have a Gear s that would not work for you, but I can tell you that using the watch for phone calls is not very private outside the car and not very easy to hear inside the car while driving.
Otherwise, love having a watch that can make a call...occasionally.

deadshot42

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Bluetooth stereo isn't an option, I'd need three to cover all the vehicles I routinely drive. If no watch I'd just stay with my earpiece. Some of the features like notifications and such might be nifty, but I can't justify hundreds of dollars on a watch just to avoid taking my phone off my belt to read a text.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
My advise to anyone looking at buying a smart watch is simple...if you are not already wearing a watch on a daily basis, don't waste your money.
I have been wearing them for nearly 4 years and outside of tech issues have really enjoyed them. But don't think they have the lasting utility for anyone that isn't already wearing a watch every day.

deadshot42

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
I ended up going with the Huawei. So far it seems to be meeting my needs. Decent sound quality on phone calls, even in the car, though the real test will be tomorrow in my work truck. The notifications and whatnot seem like they might be useful, though it is a bit annoying that replying to texts with the speech-to-text function sends them as soon as your done talking without giving you much time to review them for auto-correct screw ups.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I have to bring my Huawei to my ear to hear it while driving; yes, the volume's all the way up. Worse, when I want to use my BT headset, or the car speakers in one of my cars with BT, the watch isn't smart enough to know which device I've picked the call up on; it forces the call to its speaker.

Samsung offers a much better implementation of watch speakers on its watches.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
My galaxy gear s is a great example and absolutely loved it until it no longer stays connected. Thanks to combo of note 4 and 6.0. Hopefully note 7 will fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggles