What is everyone's obsession with phone cameras

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Camera sensors in phones are not all that great yet it's the one feature that people say make or break a phone.

The Samsung S8 cost just over 300 bucks to make, you are getting a cheap camera sensor when that the cost to make a phone.

I get the convience of having a camera on the go and it being useful. It just seams that people are expecting this Canon level digital camera in a phone when that's not going to be the case unless you want to pay 1200 for a phone that has a true fully functional camera sensor not one that uses software tricks to increase quality.

I guess I just don't understand the obsession of wasting time photographing everything instead of just experiencing it. I don't care if my phone takes a less than stellar picture of my food. If there is something I truly want to capture, then I use my $800 Canon not a cheap phone camera.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nikon DSLR, 3 lenses, and a tripod, all of which sit in my house almost every day.

My S7 is always on me, has similar image quality in the right situations, while severely lacking in others of course. The S7 is water resistant, I've taken photos in the rain and submerged it in water to get under water photos, 2 things I can't do with the Nikon. I have full manual controls, and paired with a tripod I usually keep in the car I'm able to get some impressive photos of random things I encounter.

My phone doesn't replace my DSLR, I would never use it to shoot professionally, but having a quality camera on me on a regular basis has given my photography a boost. Because cell phone cameras have gotten as good as they are, I don't have nearly as many moments in life where I wished I had a camera on me.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
These are all with my S7, why wouldn't I want a camera this good in my pocket?

Attachments

• IMG_20170715_131319_164.jpg
    IMG_20170715_131319_164.jpg
    797.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20160527_211059.jpg
    IMG_20160527_211059.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20160530_222838.jpg
    IMG_20160530_222838.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 18

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I appreciate what you're saying about just experiencing the moment, however, not everyone thinks like that. Some of us like the convenience of whipping the phone out and snapping a pic which you can instantly share with friend and family if you so wish. The "proper" photographers still carry a real camera, but the phone is good enough for the rest of us...

Attachments

• 20160818_163527.jpg
    20160818_163527.jpg
    863.6 KB · Views: 10

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I get the how easy it is to have one on you at the go, I guess to me there are features I am more concerned with. I more of a what's under the hood making the phone work, and a smooth operating experience with little to no issues. The camera on a phone is always an after thought for myself. does it work if the answer is yes, then I'm happy with it lol

LuxuryTouringZone

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Because smartphone cameras are becoming increasingly awesome, and are much more convenient than a DSLR. Pixel, Samsung Galaxy S8, iPhone 7 and the LG G6 are particularly outstanding.

Snapphane

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Everything camera related follows the same path. Today wevsee the professional DSLRs with the equivalent to the old 35mm film as "the best". But there was and is medium format cameras that are bigger and better. They are of course bigger and heavier as well. The 35 mm format gave you a camera that would fit in your pocket. And once it got good enough, it replaced the old as the new standard.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I agree with what you say about experiencing something rather than photographing it in cases like music concerts etc when you see a sea of phones filming or photoing it instead of just enjoying it BUT I'm one of those people who put the camera top of the list when choosing another phone. I don't ever carry a good DSLR camera. As much as I'd love too I know for a fact it would get used a few times then sit in a drawer because I absolutely hate lugging extra stuff around. I'd rather freeze than wear a jacket in case I have to take it off and carry it, I never carry a wallet because it takes up room in my pocket so I'll carry a card or just use my phone for paying for stuff. I have a phone which is a fantastic camera, a communication device, a calculator, a digital wallet, GPS navigation, flashlight and many many more things and it only takes a little room in my pocket. To repeat a well used saying - the best camera is the one you have with you.