New Zenpad 3s 10 Z500m won't update Android or firmware

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I bought this sealed and brand new from a warehouse dealer in Canada, as my previous Zenpad was lost by the airlines. I know that ASUS doesn't manufacture these anymore and their forums were taken down for the Zenpad line.

The tablet OS booted up the first time asking for language, location, etc. Once that was all updated, I can't get the tablet to update from Android 6 to 7 OTA. When I check for updates, it says that none are available. I can't also seem to trigger the tablet to update the firmware either. I've copied the firmware (unzipped) into the main internal storage and the tablet won't trigger the update.

Any advice is appreciated!

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I bought this sealed and brand new from a warehouse dealer in Canada, as my previous Zenpad was lost by the airlines. I know that ASUS doesn't manufacture these anymore and their forums were taken down for the Zenpad line.

The tablet OS booted up the first time asking for language, location, etc. Once that was all updated, I can't get the tablet to update from Android 6 to 7 OTA. When I check for updates, it says that none are available. I can't also seem to trigger the tablet to update the firmware either. I've copied the firmware (unzipped) into the main internal storage and the tablet won't trigger the update.

Any advice is appreciated!

you should still b able to get all the security updates by going to asus support by looking up the specific model.

https://www.asus.com/us/Tablets/ASUS-ZenPad-3S-10-Z500M/HelpDesk_BIOS/

as far as the android 7 update. not sure how at this point.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Just to be sure -- this isn't the LTE-capable version, right? If it's LTE-capable, that means it was probably originally sold through a carrier, and carrier-specific devices often need to be on that carrier's network to get official system updates. Also, carrier-specific devices don't always get updates on the same schedule -- sometimes, they don't get a system upgrade that the wi-fi only version got.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

beldave

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
@mejustsaying - I did download the latest firmware and transferred those unzipped files to the tablet. According to ASUS's own manual update description, once transferred the system is supposed to recognize that there is a firmware update and begin the process. I don't see an .exe to manually trigger the update, so I'm sort of left stuck :(

@B.diddy - negative, it's not an LTE just uses WiFi

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
@mejustsaying - I did download the latest firmware and transferred those unzipped files to the tablet. According to ASUS's own manual update description, once transferred the system is supposed to recognize that there is a firmware update and begin the process. I don't see an .exe to manually trigger the update, so I'm sort of left stuck :(

@B.diddy - negative, it's not an LTE just uses WiFi

you can check with the xda forum. they are the experts when it comes to manually install android versions. or you can wait a couple of weeks and see if your tablet will get the update automatically.

beldave

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
@mejustsaying - oh I didn't realize that there would need to be a delay for the tablet then to receive the prompt for the new OS or firmware? This is (for all intents and purposes) a tablet from 2016 that was just fired up two days ago in 2020 :) Wasn't sure (especially given ASUS no longer manufacturing these) that there would be any automatic updates. Assumed I would have to do it manually. I'll look up the XDA forum and see what's what. Thank you!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87