Just purchased an old asus tablet that can't find any updates

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I just purchased an asus zenpad 3s 10 (Z500M), it's an old tablet from 2016 running android 6.0. Last year it got an update for android 7.0 but when I go to the settings to update the tablet it can't find it. The most recent security update is from December 1, 2016 which is definitely not the most recent one.

Any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Was this tablet originally from a wireless carrier (i.e., does it have a SIM card slot)? If so, carrier-branded devices usually have to be on that carrier's network in order to get the official system update.

Idknuttin

Dec 8, 2018
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Was this tablet originally from a wireless carrier (i.e., does it have a SIM card slot)? If so, carrier-branded devices usually have to be on that carrier's network in order to get the official system update.

The tablet is the wifi only version, it is not a carrier branded device.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Android 7.0 is the last update for that device. (Itr's not like iPhones, where almost any old phone keeps getting updates - most Android phones get only 1 or 2 version updates. When the version updates stop, so do the security updates.

Idknuttin

Dec 8, 2018
Visit site
Android 7.0 is the last update for that device. (Itr's not like iPhones, where almost any old phone keeps getting updates - most Android phones get only 1 or 2 version updates. When the version updates stop, so do the security updates.

Did you read my question? The tablet is still on Android 6.0, it isn't finding the update for Android 7.0 when I go to the settings and search for an update

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Did you read my question? The tablet is still on Android 6.0, it isn't finding the update for Android 7.0 when I go to the settings and search for an update
I read "Last year it got an update for android 7.0" as "the tablet is now running 7.0.

Have you looked at About Device to make sure "getting" the updater didn't update it? You won't see any update file - that deletes itself, all you'll see is the version in about Device. If you're on 6 and go to the update section, it should see the update, download it and update it.

You can try this page to get and install the update, or you can go to the link that chanchan gave you and hit the "chat" link on the left side and ask ASUS.

Idknuttin

Dec 8, 2018
Visit site
I read "Last year it got an update for android 7.0" as "the tablet is now running 7.0.

Have you looked at About Device to make sure "getting" the updater didn't update it? You won't see any update file - that deletes itself, all you'll see is the version in about Device. If you're on 6 and go to the update section, it should see the update, download it and update it.

You can try this page to get and install the update, or you can go to the link that chanchan gave you and hit the "chat" link on the left side and ask ASUS.

thanks, that did it

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alakmalak