Email app keeps saying it cannot validate account when I try adding my Yahoo email account.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I changed my yahoo password on my laptop. I then tried to login with new password on phone and it keeps saying "unable to validate account"

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Have you checked with Yahoo? Was the account previously configured on your phone and this is coming up while updating the password or is this a new login to your account on your phone?

What mail app are you using? If you say "the default one" we'll also need to know what device you're on as some manufacturers put their own on while others just leave well enough alone with the GMail app.

Also, what version of Android? If it's old enough Yahoo may be blocking the sign in for security purposes.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
And occasionally, Yahoo mail will glitch after a change and you can't do anything with it no matter how hard you try to. It's one of the reasons I don't use Yahoo as a priority email service anymore, especially after I started moderating websites. Oh, was THAT ever a disaster! It was dumping the majority of notifications into Spam, and then it would stop working altogether, especially after I reset my password, which I do on a regular basis, after their big password breach a few years back.

tfym

Feb 15, 2021
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem. I have had two yahoo mail accounts on my Galaxy S6 for many years and have not had a problem with accessing email messages until Feb. 8, 2021 when my accounts couldn't be synced and I couldn't get any new messages. I removed these two accounts and then tried to add them back. I tried two whole days, using all the possible ways learned from Google search and Youtube videos, but none fixed the problem. Up to now, many, many hours later, I still get the same error message: unable to validate account.

I tried generating app password, 20-step verification, etc. Nothing seems to be working. By the way, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S6.

No Youtube video deals with this problem. This forum is the closest to my problem, but I couldn't find a solution to my problem.

If someone here had the same problem before but has had it fixed, I would so appreciate your kindness and expertise.

Thanks,

tfym

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The app password thing can be a little tricky to understand sometimes. Can you describe step by step how you're using the app password?

Also, can you just use the Yahoo Mail app, or do you strongly prefer using a separate email client app?

pags11

Mar 5, 2019
Visit site
Would try using the Yahoo mail app for one of the accounts and the Samsung email client for the second account. I do this with my two Gmail accounts. Doesn't solve your problem persay, but separates the email accounts and then you receive both sets of emails.

elisheva60

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem. I have had two yahoo mail accounts on my Galaxy S6 for many years and have not had a problem with accessing email messages until Feb. 8, 2021 when my accounts couldn't be synced and I couldn't get any new messages. I removed these two accounts and then tried to add them back. I tried two whole days, using all the possible ways learned from Google search and Youtube videos, but none fixed the problem. Up to now, many, many hours later, I still get the same error message: unable to validate account.

I tried generating app password, 20-step verification, etc. Nothing seems to be working. By the way, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S6.

No Youtube video deals with this problem. This forum is the closest to my problem, but I couldn't find a solution to my problem.

If someone here had the same problem before but has had it fixed, I would so appreciate your kindness and expertise.

Thanks,

tfym

SAME PROBLEM on Galaxy Note 8!! Can not get email after Feb 10!! Puts me in a loop to login. Then says can not validate and I'm back where I started. Yahoo mail on Samsung email app. The app works for Google mail. Can not find a solution anywhere!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
SAME PROBLEM on Galaxy Note 8!! Can not get email after Feb 10!! Puts me in a loop to login. Then says can not validate and I'm back where I started. Yahoo mail on Samsung email app. The app works for Google mail. Can not find a solution anywhere!

I had responded to that post asking if they could describe step-by-step how they're using the Yahoo app password, but they haven't responded yet. Can you describe how you're doing it, so we can be sure you're doing it properly?

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site

Thanks,

tfym

there is not a 20 step verification. all you have to do is to get the app password, type that password instead of your yahoo account password when you set up yahoo in the samsung app, then when accepted, it will send you a verification code to your yahoo backup email address. simple as that

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I got an email from sky email that uses Yahoo and said that there was a change coming in how to login to Yahoo on third party clients. I deleted the email without reading it because I don't use the sky email account. All I know is that since around the same date I got an error from my email client saying I couldn't login and I removed it from the client. I wish I could removed what they said to do. I am so sorry. But they have done something to their aervers. You may have to use Yahoo mail client for now. I will see if there is something on the sky website.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/getting-started-with-sky-yahoo-mail

This is the instructions for adding the sky email (Yahoo mail) to a client. Hope this helps.

martcole

Jul 10, 2021
Visit site
Same for a TAB S2, was fine until I cleaned and reloaded it a month ago and not only yahoo of my 4 emails address will not load on the Android Email app. It still works fine on my S7 Edge
I think yahoo have done it on purpose to force us to use their app which of course has advertising on it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Have you read through this thread and tried using an app password (instead of the password you created), as previously suggested? Remember, this is for greater security.

Ben xfg

Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
Same for a TAB S2, was fine until I cleaned and reloaded it a month ago and not only yahoo of my 4 emails address will not load on the Android Email app. It still works fine on my S7 Edge
I think yahoo have done it on purpose to force us to use their app which of course has advertising on it.

Some email providers including Yahoo ,AOL, and I believe also Outlook have made changes where they won't allow "less secure" email clients from connecting with their email service. Less secure means those that don't support 2FA sign-in methods.
You will need to create an app specific password online and sign in using it instead of your account password.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Typically, when you enter the credentials for the Yahoo Mail account (along with all of the server settings) into the Samsung Email app, you'd need to enter the app password instead of the password you originally created.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87